This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

To many in America and worldwide, sports is an up-and-coming career, especially for women joining the industry. However, entering the industry as a woman is tough.  From personal experience, I can tell you some of the areas we can expect critism in when expressing that girls have a interest in sports. For example, I love hockey; however, when I say that, people assume it’s for the “pretty guys.” I’ll admit that athletes are attractive, but I do not watch for the “pretty guys.” Or, I will be asked, “Oh, you like the Bruins? Name four players,” to which I immediately respond with the whole roster, jersey numbers, and records. Unfortunately, this is normal for women who  love sports, even if you are an athlete yourself.  

I have to say, in recent years, women have been taking the sports industry by storm, and honestly, it’s one of the coolest things right now, or at least in my opinion.If you’re a sports fan, don’t let men make you feel dumb. One of my favorite things about loving sports is watching people’s faces with my knowledge of sports and the athletes. Growing up watching and participating in sports has had me realize how interesting the difference is between being a guy who loves sports and a girl who loves sports. Even as an athlete, I still have to deal with these biases. Over the years, I have picked up some tips and tricks to take on this biased world. 

My first tip would be to watch sports with people you know who like sports or have competed in them, especially if they are athletes in the sport you are watching/ supporting. They likely want someone to hang with them, even if they don’t know what’s going on all the time. When I was growing up and training, hanging around friends and teammates helped me grow in the sport. Hanging around with them helps increase your knowledge of sports, which brings me to my next tip. 

My next tip is one of my favorite things, learn the sports terms. If you don’t get the way the sport is played or the competition, it’s okay. However, the athletes all have names for things, which will also help you befriend and gain the trust of the male athletes. For example, in hockey, when everyone is cheering “sieve” or “Swiss cheese,” they’re referring to the goalie and how they can’t make the saves they are supposed to. As I mentioned I grew up in this world, I was an alpine skier, I played soccer, I did every sport I could growing up. My brother does the same, which comes from my parents. My dad played college hockey, and my mom almost played college basketball. I grew up in the sports world because of my parents, since the day I was born. I wouldnt want it any other way. Since I have a background in sports at sports games, my friends are always asking me what things mean. This tip is the most helpful, especially if you are in an arena.

My last tip is don’t be embarrassed that you want to be in the sports world, whether an athlete or someone who’s passionate about sports. Embrace it! As I said, us women are taking the field, ice, and court by storm, and we have proven we aren’t going anywhere. I could go on about all the stories I have experienced being a woman in sports. In conclusion, if you are passionate about something, it will pay off in the end, and those who tried to undermine or underestimate you will suddenly reach out and want to be in your circle. 

She is a sophomore, Sports Management Major at The University Of Maine. She loves to play sports, journal, read,travel, take photos and listen to music.