Fresh & Fit Recipe: Cherry Vanilla Smoothie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Though Valentine’s Day has already passed, the opportunity to indulge in sweet treats is still all around, particularly in the discounted candy aisle. Spring Break is in two weeks, though, and many of us have made resolutions to eat right and work out in preparation. Instead of finishing off another bag of Hershey Kisses, make yourself a delicious, pink smoothie that will keep your stomach full and your sweet tooth satisfied. How about cherry-vanilla?

There is something so indulgent and special about cherries, but they are also packed with antioxidants, Vitamin C, Potassium and other vitamins and minerals. Almond milk is thick and will make your smoothie rich, but only contains about 30 or 40 calories for a cup of unsweetened, while the original flavor is closer to 60. It’s a win either way. And if you’re going to treat yourself to this as your breakfast, try adding some spinach for even more of a nutritional punch. Whether it’s your breakfast, an afternoon pick-me-up, or a sinful dessert, this cherry-vanilla smoothie is sure to please.

Cherry-Vanilla Smoothie
(1 serving)

½-1 frozen banana
1 c. frozen cherries
1 c. unsweetened or original flavored almond milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. favorite sweetener (such as agave or maple syrup)

Blend all the ingredients together. Don’t be afraid to blend it for several minutes to make it super smooth.

Tip: It would be more cost efficient to buy fresh cherries and then pit and freeze them yourself.