Fresh and Fit Recipe of the Week!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

A Day’s Worth of Breast Cancer-Fighting Meals! 

This week in honor of Her Campus UMaine’s Breast Cancer Awareness Week, we’re not just giving you one Fresh & Fit Recipe of the Week, instead we’re giving you an entire days worth of cancer-fighting meals! Each meal is packed with the most potent-cancer fighting and delicious foods that Katrina Horgan discussed in her nutrition article this week!

Breakfast:

Blueberry & Banana Quinoa
Serves 2-3

Ingredients:
1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
2 cups water
1 banana, sliced
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, vanilla flavor is great
1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
maple syrup or honey

Directions:
1) Combine quinoa and water in medium saucepan over high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
2) Add in banana, almond milk, and blueberries. Top with a little bit of maple syrup, honey, almond butter or peanut butter for a bit of sweetness!

Serve with a hot cup of green tea!

Recipe compliments of www.breastcancerdefense.com

Lunch: 

Sweet Potato Kidney Bean Salad

Serves 4

Ingredients:
1 medium-sized sweet potato
1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed, drained
1 celery stalk, chopped
¼ cup finely chopped fresh parsley
salt and paper to taste
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil or flax oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
4 cups mixed leafy greens (Try kale or spinach!)
¼ cup crumbled low-fat feta cheese

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Wash and scrub potato. Wrap in foil and bake for 1 hour or until just fork tender. Remove foil and set potato aside to cool. Add kidney beans, celery and parsley to a large bowl.
  2. When potato is cool enough to handle, dice into bite-sized pieces and add to bowl with kidney bean mixture. Season with salt and pepper and toss to combine.
  3. Whisk together olive oil and balsamic vinegar, drizzle half of it on potato mixture and toss to combine. Divide greens on four serving plates. Mound sweet potato salad on greens. Drizzle with the remaining dressing and sprinkle with feta. Serve warm or chilled.

Recipe compliments of SheKnows.com.

Dinner:

Tomato-Pesto Tilapia With Garlicky Kale?

Ingredients:
1 medium red potato
6 oz. Tilapia fillet (or other white flaky fish)
½ tbsp petso
½ tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1 ½ tsp olive oil
black pepper and salt
½ cup grape tomatoes, halved
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 cups kale
1 tbsp chicken stock or water

Directions:

1. Microwave red potato until tender (10 minutes).
  2. Place tilapia fillet in a baking pan  
  3. Mix pesto and parsley; spread over fish; drizzle with 1/2 tsp of the olive oil and season with a pinch of black pepper.
  4. Top with halved grape tomatoes. Broil until fish is tender (6 to 8 minutes)
  5. In a pan, sauté 1 tsp olive oil with crushed garlic clove over medium heat. Add kale and a pinch of salt; sauté until wilted.
  6. Add chicken stock or water; cook, covered, until tender (2 to 3 minutes)
  7. Slice potato into rounds; top with fish, tomatoes and kale

Recipe compliments of Self.com.

Get cooking with these tasty meals and help keep your ta-ta’s healthy! Don’t forget to rage for a cause this weekend at Curva Ultra Lounge for the Breast Cancer Fundraiser featuring Lazerdisk Party Sex! Bon appetit! 

photo credit: google images