Four Easy Recipes for College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

With busy schedules it may seem hard sometimes for a college student to prepare meals.  Preparing meals that are easy, inexpensive, tasty and healthy no longer has to take much time!  With these four tasty recipes, college students will be able to prepare new meals on a cheap budget all while balancing out busy college schedules. 

1)   Anajito for One

This is an easy recipe that takes no time at all and accommodates any schedule.  It is a healthy meal that contains veggies, cheese and grains; perfect for a well balanced diet! 

Ingredients:  White Flower Tortillas, Cream Cheese, Shredded Cheese, Green or Red Bell Peppers, Onion (optional)

Step 1:  Lay out tortilla

Step 2:  Put enough cream cheese that will cover the tortilla in a bowl

Step 3:  Chop peppers and onion, then mix into cream cheese. Once mixed spread over     tortilla

Step 4:  Sprinkle shredded cheese to cover cream cheese and veggie spread.

Step 5:  Roll up tortilla inward so the filling is on the inside and slit a couple lines over the top with enough so the cheeses will melt.

Step 6:  Bake in oven at 350 degrees until cheese is melted and the tortilla is browned

Step 7:  Once cool, cut into slices and serve with sour cream

Estimated cook time:  10 minutes

2)  Garlic Mushroom and Spinach Penne       

There are so many things you can do with pasta.  It is inexpensive and versatile to make any meal a tasty one!  In less than 15 minutes, you can have a meal that can feed your roommates too!

Ingredients:  Penne Pasta, Chopped Spinach, Chopped Garlic, Mushrooms, Parmesan Cheese.

Step 1:  Add oil to the pan and set burner to a preferred temperature and mix in the mushrooms until sautéed (do not overcook). 

Step 2:  Mix in chopped spinach and chopped garlic until spinach is cooked.  Mix in mushrooms as well to mix in flavor.  Once done, cover and warm.           

Step 3:  Prepare pasta by boiling hot water at ¾ from the top of the pan. 

Step 4:  After water is boiling add the penne to the water and boil for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Step 5:  After the penne is Al Dente, strain the water.

Step 6:  Pour the mushrooms, spinach and garlic.  Top it off with parmesan cheese.

Estimated cook time: 15 minutes

3)   Beef Stroganoff

Good for students with a crock pot and perfect for feeding all roommates.  It is a meal that takes no time to make and is very tasty!  It is the perfect meal that take sunder five minutes to prepare and can cook all while you carry on with your busy schedule.

Ingredients:  Mushrooms, Onion, Stew Beef and McCormick Beef Stroganoff seasoning, pasta.  

Step 1:  Chop onion and place into crock pot, followed by the mushrooms, stew beef and seasoning.

Step 2:  Add two cups of water cover crock pot and set temperature to low.

Step 3: Prepare pasta by boiling hot water and cooking pasta.

Estimated Cook Time: Two hours (prep time 2 minutes)      

4)  Nachos

Meals that can feed any size get together.  An easily prepared meal that everyone can enjoy!  Versatile of any occasion, dinner or just a late night snack; can be served many different ways to fit the cravings of everyone.

Ingredients:  One bag Flour or Corn Tortilla Chips, Shredded Cheese, Scallions, Onion, Bell Peppers, Bacon Bits, Black Olives Sour Cream, Salsa.

Step 1:  Lay chips over baking sheet.

Step 2:  Cut onion, bell peppers and scallions.

Step 3: Sprinkle shredded cheese over the chips, followed by the veggies and bacon bits.

Step 4:  Back at 350 degrees until cheese is fully melted.

Step 5:  Serve with Sour Cream and Salsa.

Estimated Cook Time: 10 minutes