dan gold 6P 1ba qWDI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
dan gold 6P 1ba qWDI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Ah, December. First snowfalls, Christmas music, warm cocoa, pretty lights… and the midst of what the world calls cuffing season. Now, if you live under a rock or don’t spend much time on the internet, cuffing season is described as followed by Urban Dictionary: 

“During the fall and winter months people who would normally rather be single or promiscuous find themselves along with the rest of the world desiring to be “cuffed” or tied down by a serious relationship. The cold weather and prolonged indoor activity causes singles to become lonely and desperate to be cuffed.” 

This, I feel, is a very accurate description. Single people thrive during the summer months. The warm beach days spent in swimsuits and total freedom to do whatever you want is the perfect climate for being single and ready to mingle. However, as soon as that temperature drops and you suddenly find yourself bogged down with schoolwork and snowed in on the weekends, a cuddle buddy to keep you warm starts to sound really desirable. It’s just a scientific fact that cute fall and winter activities are much more enjoyable with a significant other – like, yeah, I’ll go look at the pretty Christmas lights, go to holiday parties, and bake cookies with my friends, but I’ll be the first one to admit it would be a lot cuter if I was doing it with a significant other. 

So, while cuffing season is upon us and all single folk are desperately trying to find a partner-in-crime for the most ~Instagrammable~ time of the year, just know, I’m with you there. We can all make hot cocoa and complain about our love lives together. Oh, and watch Love Actually. Definitely that.

Rosalie is a freshman at UMaine. She loves cats, poetry, and hot chocolate, and spends most of her time rewatching Gilmore Girls or laughing way too hard at dumb jokes.