Campus Celebrity: Joel Michael Martin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

A campus celebrity should be someone who makes a positive difference at UMaine and is an integral part of our culture. Joel Michael Martin fits this bill, which is why he is our campus celeb!

Joel recently graduated from UMaine with a Bachelor’s in New Media and Studio Art, and is now a graduate student in Higher Education. As part of the class of 2013, he stayed at UMaine because he loves the people here. He’s got an extensive list of activities he participates in too; Assistant Community Coordinator for Residence Life, a brother of Beta Theta Pi, Class of 2011 Council, Interfraternity Council and Team Maine.

Joel is doing his graduate assistantship as the Assistant Community Coordinator. This position requires patience and tolerance because he is the contact person for freshmen who are in need of guidance. He works with the incoming class on how to make living away from home a little easier. Why does he enjoy this particular job? “It allows me to work with the students in my complex to help them with the transition from high school to college.”

Being a part of a fraternity has had a positive impact on his life. The brothers at Beta Theta Pi pride themselves on being gentlemen, leaders and scholars. They sponsor numerous events one of them being the Beta Sleep Out. The sleep out raises money for and awareness of rape. Joel is also on Team Maine – a group that is comprised of Telecounselors, Dirigo Tour Guides and Student Ambassadors. Team Maine is UMaine’s way of marketing the school to prospective students. Ever notice the tours going around campus? The leaders are from Team Maine, and give the students a tour of the campus and answer any questions they might have.

When I asked him what his favorite activity he participates in was, Joel said, “A tie between Team Maine and Beta Theta Pi.” Greek life is a huge part of UMaine and being a part of it is a great step towards becoming more involved on campus. And you can’t be on Team Maine without having some enthusiasm about our school and being a part of it.

Being involved in so many activities you’re bound to make a difference and he thinks the biggest difference he’s made is for those in his life. He says, “I’ve been lucky enough to get involved with a lot on this campus, and through those activities have met some amazing people.”

If you hadn’t heard his name being thrown around before you’ll surely recognize his face. So say hi! Joel says, “There is nothing better than walking around campus and just constantly saying hi to people and waving.”