Breaking Down Birth Control

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

More and more often, commercials are popping up for all different types of birth control: condoms, Yaz and Beyaz, the IUD, the patch, the shot. So which type is the best? The better question to ask is, which type is best for you? I’ll break down the different types of birth control, and then you should consult with your gyno on which one works best for you.

The tried and true CONDOM: Condoms are the most effective way to prevent against STDs, HIV and pregnancy. Unless you are in a serious relationship, you are on another form of birth control, and you have both been tested for STDs, you should always wear a condom during sex to protect yourself from diseases. Trojan is one of the most well advertised and well-known, but they also have tons of different sensations like “Fire & Ice.” Really though, you don’t need all that fancy stuff, and sometimes the warming condoms are actually too hot (plus, aren’t our vaginas warm enough?). Around campus you can find TONS of free condoms: Cutler Health Center, many of the offices located in the Union (ADEP, Peer Ed, and the Rainbow resource room for example), and my office (221 Merrill Hall)! If you’re going for the freebies, my suggestion is stick to the “One” brand condom. You can tell them apart because they come in a circular package and have fun pictures on the front. Eastern Maine AIDS Network gives them to us, but if you were to purchase One, part of the proceeds go to HIV/AIDS prevention in Africa. Here is the website: http://www.onecondoms.com/discover/index.htm. And just because the man wears the condom doesn’t mean you can’t keep a stash of them on hand. This is about taking control and responsibility for YOUR body and YOUR health, so always have some in your purse, in your bedroom, even in your bra for a night out! You’re not being slutty, you’re taking precautions and being responsible for your body.

The Pill: The pill has been helping women take control of their sexuality for the last 50 years! It is taken every day and the hormones it contains keep you from releasing an egg, so there is nothing for the sperm to fertilize. You still get your period, but it’s actually a fake period and there is no real need for it, which is why there are more types of the pill coming out that allow you to only have four periods a year. If you have the regular pill and you want to skip your period one month (spring break, big formal, swim event, etc.), instead of taking the sugar pills the fourth week, you just start taking next month’s package (as always, consult with your doctor first). In order to get the pill, you need to go to your doctor or OB/GYN and have a pelvic exam, and then they can write you a prescription. Some generic brands are Ortho-Cyclen, Ortho-Cept, and Yasmin. Yaz and Beyaz are birth control pills that help women who have premenstrual dysphoric disorder. Another positive side effect of the pill: it also helps combat acne!

The Patch/The Shot/Nuva Ring: The patch (Ortho-Evra) contains the same hormones as the pill, but instead of taking a pill everyday you wear a patch on your body. You put on a new patch every week for three weeks in a row, and then the week you get your period you don’t wear it. The shot (Depo-Provera) is injected into the woman’s arm and is effective for three months. The Nuva Ring is a small ring that is inserted up into the vagina for three weeks, and then you pull it out once you start your period. All of these options have the same benefits as the pill, they are just alternate forms of getting the hormone. These are good options for women who don’t want to deal with taking a pill everyday, or for women who have had bad side effects from the pill (weight gain, moodiness, light headedness, etc.). 

Diaphragms, cervical caps, the sponge, and IUDs: These are all methods where a device is inserted into the vagina to prevent pregnancy. The Diaphragm, cap, and sponge are all devices that fit over the cervix, require spermicide, and can be manually inserted by the woman before sex (even a few hours before). An IUD is inserted into the uterus by a doctor and keeps anything from implanting on the uterine walls and lasts for YEARS. However, none of these methods protect against diseases, so you still need to wear a condom.

If you are sexually active, it is smart to get tested for STDs/HIV once every six months to a year, and get your pelvic exam once a year. With so many options for birth control, there are no excuses for a smart, informed, collegiette™ to be having unprotected sex.

Images from Nuva Ring, One Condom, and ndsu.edu

Macey Hall is a senior at the University of Maine studying Journalism with a minor in Sociology. She loves fashion and traveling, and studied abroad last year in England. On campus, she writes a weekly fashion column for the school paper, The Maine Campus, and is president of Lambda Pi Eta, an honor society for Communications students. Macey is an extrovert who loves laughing, tacos, clothes, and reading, and wants to be a Kardashian when she grows up.