Be Vibrant This Valentine’s Day!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Be Vibrant This Valentine’s Day!

It’s hard to ignore Valentine’s Day as it is broadcasted across every social media and advertisement right up until that glorious day dedicated to love. Does seeing the big red hearts and flashy “I love you” candy, conveniently sitting next to the bouquet of flowers and stuffed animals, stress you out? Does your day of love turn into a day of resentment and self-pity? Turn it around this year!

It’s easy to become overwhelmed with loneliness and depression this season, regardless of whether you’re taken or single. You may be reminded of a past relationship that now doesn’t seem like it was all that bad, or you may be wondering “What’s wrong with me? Why am I still single?” You could even be reminded of how happy you are with where you’re at in a relationship and are able to look back at past grievances as lessons learned. Whatever it is you’re feeling this Valentine’s Day, the most important thing you can do is to stay aware.

By allowing yourself to fully feel emotions as they come, you also allow yourself to let those emotions go. Think about it: a tea kettle can only hold boiling water inside for so long before it finally lets go in a whistling, steaming fit of relief (perhaps an overly dramatic analogy but you get the point). Nonetheless, never suppress emotions of anger, sadness, resentment, anxiety, nervousness etc.; instead, invite them. Once you’ve recognized what you are feeling at the time and the changes it brings to your mood, physical senses and behavior, you can then move on from there and make a change.

Another tip on how to win the battle against loneliness is to remember that you are not alone. Contrary to popular belief, you are not the only one feeling these emotions during this time of the year. Instead of feeling sorry for yourself or for others, decide to give love in order to receive love. Extend a helping hand or a listening ear that day; give someone else flowers unexpectedly; express gratitude for all that you have even if it isn’t a relationship at the time; be compassionate.

Remember that Valentine’s Day is about giving love just as much as it is about receiving love.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/making-change/201401/overcoming-loneliness

“You cannot be lonely if you like the person you’re alone with.” – Wayne Dyer

UMaine Class of 2014 - Psychology major, Sociology minor