Back to School Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

WE BACK UMAINE.

Things to try to accomplish this semester:

1. Get more sleep.

Try and put your phone in a place when you’re going to bed where you don’t feel tempted to look at it. I promise whatever you want to see on Instagram will still be there in the morning. Also imagine getting that extra 45 minutes of sleep in the morning instead of that extra episode of Shameless at night.

2. Get to the gym/exercise more.

It’s all about getting in a routine. Set yourself aside an hour four to five days a week where you can fit in a trip to the gym or simply exercise at home. Try and go at the same time each day that fits into your schedule to build a routine that you wont want to break.

3. Don’t skip class as much.

Make a pact with somebody in your class to get each other there. I get it sounds kinda lame but those extra class participation points feel pretty good at the end of the semester.

4. Study more.

Find a specific place on campus or at home that makes you comfortable and where you can fully focus on your studying. Make study guides or flash cards find a study method that works for you.

5. Eat healthier.

Instead of getting that extra pizza at OHOP this week save your money and go to the grocery store once a week and buy some healthy alternatives. Fruits and vegetables should be a necessity in your everyday routine.

6. Spend less money.

Buy less drinks at the bar and cut down on  going out to eat. Yes, both very tempting, however by the end of the month that adds up to hundreds of dollars. Trying eating at home before the bars or going out. Or have a few more beers at home instead of buying them at the bar.

7. Make coffee at home instead of buying a coffee out everyday.

You can save over $40 a month.

8. Try buying textbooks online.

Check sites like Amazon or other websites that have used books. Also try and sell your books to other people that are taking classes you’ve taken previously.

9. Try to work with your roommates and turn the lights off in your apartment or house.

You will save money on electricity.

10. Be more organized.

11. Get an agenda book for your classes. 

Or you can set yourself reminders on your phone if you are a person who always has your phone on you.

12. Try to keep your room clean so you are not constantly losing things in clutter.

13. Have a calendar in your room with dates of things due from your class syllabus and check it before you go to bed.

Photos: 1,

Current Student at the University of Maine, Orono going into her third year. Majoring in Journalism with a minor in New Media, concentration on photojournalism.   Grace is from Stoneham, a suburb outside Boston, Massachusetts. She originally was enticed by the University as a recruit for the track and field team. Now she is on her third year competing for the varsity team.  ​ Grace has a passion for journalism because she believes there is always a story to be told and a voice to be heard on a subject matter. Without people expressing their own voice change can never be made.  
Chloe is a fourth-year Mass Communication major at the University of Maine. She is the Editor-in-Chief/Campus Correspondent of Her Campus UMaine. She is also contributing editor for Odyssey UMaine. Check out her blog at https://cdyer.bangordailynews.com/. She is passionate about writing, and in her free time enjoys reading, traveling and blogging.