6 Reasons to Get Excited for the Super Bowl (Even If You Don’t Understand Football)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Super Bowl Sunday is right around the corner, and even if you’re not a football fanatic, there’s still plenty to be excited about. 

1. Hot guys in tight pants.

OBVI. 

2. Buffalo chicken flavored everything.

We are so lucky to live in a country that values mass consumption of chicken wings, pizza and beer while watching a bunch of hot sweaty guys run around. ‘Merica. 

3. Commercials.

For girls who barely understand football, the big-budget advertisements are half of the entertainment. Just make sure to watch this year’s Budweiser commercial before the game, so you can cry about it now rather than in the presence of the guys who will already be annoyed that girls are watching the game with them. 

4. Halftime.

Who wants to place bets on whether there will be a repeat of Nipplegate 2004 at Super Bowl XLIX? There’s no way everyone’s favorite scantily clad popstar, Katy Perry, can make it through an entire halftime performance without a wardrobe malfunction of some sort. If the chances of another Super Bowl scandal aren’t enough to get you pumped for Sunday, Cosmopolitan reported today that Lenny Kravitz and Missy Elliot will be performing, as well. At a press conference promoting the halftime show, Perry said, “I wanted to kinda bring someone back, like a throwback of sorts.” So, YEAH, expect totally cool throwback things to happen!

5. Cheerleaders.

So much glitter, such great hair…what more could you ask for? I really just don’t understand why the entire Super Bowl isn’t just dedicated to cheerleaders. 

6.  Patriots Pride

Even if you don’t particularly mind whether the Patriots or the Seahawks win, there’s no denying the fact that the entire population of New England will be drastically happier for a few weeks if we win. Who doesn’t want that?

Hannah began her involvement with Her Campus as a contributing writer for the UMaine chapter after transferring from Seton Hall University in 2013. Currently, she is the HC UMaine Campus Correspondent and a Chapter Advisor. She is also a staff writer at the University of Maine's student newspaper, The Maine Campus. As a fourth year Journalism student with an English minor, Hannah enjoys writing everything from hard news stories to GIF-filled listicles. In addition to her involvement with Her Campus, Hannah coaches a junior varsity high school cheerleading team. In her spare time, you can find Hannah sharing hair tips on her personal blog, obsessing over Justin Bieber and re-watching episodes of Gossip Girl.