5 Ways: Manage Your Time Better

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

1. Have multiple to-do lists

Start out by organizing everything you need to do into separate to-do lists. Mine include homework, grocery, career, and other. It’s a little extra work at first, but it will help you stay organized and make sure you don’t lose your head in your multitude of different tasks.

2. Prioritize
Figure out what is due first, and which will take the longest to finish. Work on the smaller things first – those are usually the ones that slip your mind when getting caught up in a collegiette’s busy life. They’ll be easier to finish and you’ll be motivated to get more done. Once you’ve finished all the small tasks, you can focus your full attention on the more complicated and more time-consuming tasks.

3. Make realistic goals
Now that you’ve prioritized, estimate how much time each task will take you – and be realistic. If you absolutely must check Facebook and/or Twitter make sure to give yourself enough time even with those ten minute breaks. Divide up large tasks into smaller ones, and figure out what time you have to finish the different parts. This will allow you to see how much progress you’re actually making, and you won’t end up spending 10 hours finishing a paper the day before it’s due.

4. Buy a monthly calendar
Although weekly planners are effective, they really don’t give you a broad enough view of what’s going on in your busy month. Buy a monthly calendar and hang it up somewhere you can look at it daily. Make sure to put all important exams, homework assignments, work schedules and extracurricular meetings or due dates on it. It will allow you to look ahead into next week and that way nothing will catch you by surprise.

5. It’s a full-time job
Reserve the hours 9-5, Monday through Friday, for things you absolutely must get done. Treat any important task like it’s a full-time job. Everyday you can count on yourself to use this time for getting things done, and after 5 o’clock you can do something fun, knowing you put in a hard day’s work. 

Images from totallyuniquelife.com

Macey Hall is a senior at the University of Maine studying Journalism with a minor in Sociology. She loves fashion and traveling, and studied abroad last year in England. On campus, she writes a weekly fashion column for the school paper, The Maine Campus, and is president of Lambda Pi Eta, an honor society for Communications students. Macey is an extrovert who loves laughing, tacos, clothes, and reading, and wants to be a Kardashian when she grows up.