5 Ways: Get More Out of Your Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Go to a drive in

Take a break from the expensive (and always freezing) movie theaters and go to a drive in. They’re a great date night outing but they’re also fun to go with a group of girls. I recommend the one in Skowhegan – it’s $6.00 for two shows. Usually they play an animated movie first, and then a film geared towards adults. They have popcorn and other movie snacks there, and all you have to do is tune in on your radio to hear the film.

Make dinner for the family
All year you’ve experimented with different recipes and I’m sure you’ve found some winners. Show the family that despite the stereotypes us collegiettes™ do eat well! Go to a local farmer’s market and get fresh ingredients. Enlist younger siblings to help you; they’ll appreciate learning how to cook before they’re off to college.

Go to a cultural event

Summer is the time local bands emerge from their basements and start playing shows at dusk by the river. Hook up with some friends and channel your inner hippie and watch them play. You might not be able to make it to Bonnaroo, but you’d be surprised to find that your own state, or neighboring ones, offers some awesome music festivals. Or go see a show, there are lots of locals who have been working all year on classic plays you can see for a lot cheaper than Broadway.

Volunteer
Especially if you can’t find a job this summer, you should definitely consider volunteering. It could be at the local library, hospital or homeless shelter. There’s really few places that won’t want volunteers, and it looks great on your résumé. The key is to volunteer some place that is relevant to your future career. If you’re in the social services, for example, look to volunteer at some sort of health center or clinic. You’ll get to know the field a lot better and the people you work with can become references for future jobs.

Figure out what to do with your life

Somewhat related to the previous point, use all the spare time you have to figure out where you want to be once you graduate. Do research on what qualifications you might need aside from just a diploma. For example, most graduates with a psychology degree need to also be licensed or have a Master’s degree or higher. If you’re thinking about graduate school, decide whether it’s really necessary in your field to have a degree, and if it is start looking at and touring schools. Summer is a great time to visit schools, since you might not have the free time once the fall semester starts. It may seem like years away, but it’ll be here before you know it.

Macey Hall is a senior at the University of Maine studying Journalism with a minor in Sociology. She loves fashion and traveling, and studied abroad last year in England. On campus, she writes a weekly fashion column for the school paper, The Maine Campus, and is president of Lambda Pi Eta, an honor society for Communications students. Macey is an extrovert who loves laughing, tacos, clothes, and reading, and wants to be a Kardashian when she grows up.