5 Ways: Get More Involved

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

We all know that if you want to get involved, you can join Greek Life. Besides that Greek route, there are other organizations you can join to feel a part of UMaine. As the year stars to wind down I’m sure few of you are thinking about joining any groups now. But keep these fun clubs in mind for next year!

Dance Club: Contact Molly Roberts
This club is open to all members of the university, whether or not you have past dance experience. The dance club works on a piece to perform for the fall and spring showcases. Molly says, “Members are not required to perform, but usually everyone does because its such a fun and new experience.” They usually meet once a week for about two hours to work on the piece.

Sophomore Eagles: President: Molly Flanagan
This is a group in which the members elect women to join the club. It is an honor society that values leadership, dignity, character, scholarship and friendship. They focus on being role models for the incoming freshman. They meet once a week to “catch up” and plan some of their campus activities, which include the Haunted Trail and S’mores night for the freshman complexes. Each year 11-13 first year women are selected through an application process that focuses on their ideals and the potential for these women and leadership on campus.

Odyssey of the Mind: Contact Aimee Young
This group focuses on “creative ways to solve problems.” Every year the club receives a number of problems (from performing a play to building mechanical devices) that they work to solve. They come up with ideas throughout the year and then present their solutions in a state-wide competition. Aimee says, “odyssey of the mind is a great creative outlet to learn how to think on your feet and have fun meeting new people.” This year they weren’t able to generate enough interest, but the officers are still hoping to keep the club going. Contact Aimee if you’re interested!

Improv In Sanity: Contact James Skrabak
This club is open to UMaine students who are looking to commit to learning about improvisational acting techniques. James says that they have recently performed at high schools and do workshops. They are working towards seeing a show in Boston performed by Improv Asylum. During an average meeting they practice improv games and long form improv.

Mock Trial: Contact Anh Nguyen or Emma Bouchard
President this year Matt McLaughlin describes the club; participants take on the role of either a witness or a lawyer to simulate a trial. At the beginning of the year the group is given a fictional case, consisting of testimonies, exhibits and stipulations. Throughout the year they go to competitions and compete against other schools. Weekly meetings last about two hours, while the competitions are usually a weekend. Matt says, “more than anything, mock trial is a performance, so how you argue your case is most important.” This club is great if you’re looking into going to law school, or just improving your communication schools.

Bonus! For our male readers (we know you’re out there!):

The Maine Steiners: Contact Colin Kolmar
The Maine Steiners is an all male a capella group. To be eligible to be in the Maine Steiners you must first be a member of the University Singers. Colin says, “the Steiners act as ambassadors for singers and enthusiasts everywhere.” A group of about 10 Steiners also tour the New England area promoting a positive view of the arts, especially to young males. There is an audition process, and the Steiners may perform at events both on and off campus. 

Image from UMaine

Macey Hall is a senior at the University of Maine studying Journalism with a minor in Sociology. She loves fashion and traveling, and studied abroad last year in England. On campus, she writes a weekly fashion column for the school paper, The Maine Campus, and is president of Lambda Pi Eta, an honor society for Communications students. Macey is an extrovert who loves laughing, tacos, clothes, and reading, and wants to be a Kardashian when she grows up.