5 Ways: Get Healthier Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

It’s the first thing that stands out when you’re meeting someone for the first time. Not only are chronic skin problems unhealthy, they make it difficult to be confident. Here are some easy ways to
combat dry and oily skin problems.

Take some flax seed oil
This comes in pill form, and has a wide array of health benefits aside from promoting healthy skin. For people with dry skin: the oil, which is rich in fatty acids, helps heal cracked or itchy skin. These fatty acids also help those with oily skin or acne; the flax seed oil thins the oil clogging pores. Flax seed has also shown some anti-inflammatory properties – so it could help reduce the redness that comes along with the unwelcomed zit.

Avoid taking hot showers
Now that it’s not so cold all the time, this will be a lot easier for most of us. Hot water can dry out skin and leave even those with otherwise oily skin seeing flaky skin. After your shower try not to rub yourself dry; gently pat water away. If you’re trying to combat dry skin make sure to put lotion or a heavy cream on your skin right after you get out to trap the moisture on your skin.

A diet high in strawberries
Strawberries are great for toning skin and getting rid of pesky zits. They are naturally high in salicylic acid – the medication ingredient found in many face washes and acne creams. You can either make a strawberry mask or just eat them (bonus: strawberry juice loosens plaque and helps whiten teeth!).

Get plenty of water
The buildup of toxins in your body is released when you drink water. By not getting the recommended daily amount the toxins stay in your body and are released through your skin, which is the cause of
acne. Drinking water also helps the skin stay hydrated, and reduces the irritations that cause dry skin.

Watch what’s in your make-up
This could be a big cause of unhealthy skin. A lot of cheap make-up is made with ingredients that clog pores or may irritate the skin. Make sure to look at what is in the make-up, especially foundation. Some ingredients to avoid are sulfates, chlorides and parabens – these all clog the skin or cause irritation. It’s important to wash your make-up off at night too. Leaving it on can only worsen any skin problems.

Images from skin-on.com

Macey Hall is a senior at the University of Maine studying Journalism with a minor in Sociology. She loves fashion and traveling, and studied abroad last year in England. On campus, she writes a weekly fashion column for the school paper, The Maine Campus, and is president of Lambda Pi Eta, an honor society for Communications students. Macey is an extrovert who loves laughing, tacos, clothes, and reading, and wants to be a Kardashian when she grows up.