5 Things That Happen When You Leave Your Pet For School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

College is all about transitions, learning new responsibilities, new study habits and how to (sort of) be an adult. There’s one transition that we don’t really talk about- learning to live without your pet. Between living in dorms and apartments, the likelihood of bringing your pets with you to school is about as likely as you even glancing at a textbook over spring break. In honor of National Pet Day, Feb.21, here are 5 things that inevitably happen when your furry friend can’t come to school with you. 

1. You end up accidentally talking to yourself. It’s hard getting used to not having your furry friend to talk at/to and you end up looking like a crazy person.

2. When you drop food on the floor, you actually have to pick it up. Without your personal vacuum cleaner, it’s now your duty to pick up scraps.

3. Your bed almost feels too big. Falling asleep without your furry friend sleeping behind your knees, laying over your feet or breathing in your face takes some getting used to.

4. You might have to buy an electric blanket because, speaking of sleep, your own personal heater is no longer there to warm up under the covers.

5. People get sick of you showing them photos of your pets. “Here’s one of him asleep, and here’s one of him yawning, here he is destroying my couch…” All those photos also end up clogging up everyone’s Insta/Facebook/Twitter feeds.

As they say, absence makes the heart grow fonder. Nothing beats the feeling of reuniting with your best friend and the look on their face. We all know that’s really why you’re going home for spring break (sorry, Mom).

Terry Shortt is a fourth year Journalism major minoring in WGS Studies and Creative Writing at the University of Maine. In her free time she enjoys writing, reading, playing dress up, crafting, and eating. She fancies herself to be a sex positive, feminist, Martha Stewart. She enjoys the simple pleasures in life, like warm summer nights and perfect cat-eyes.
Kate Berry is a fourth-year journalism major at the University of Maine in Orono. She loves reading about the latest trends and events.