5 Sex Books You Must Read This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Everyone loves a good summer read: lighthearted, quick books that you can take to the beach or read on a boat cruising around Casco Bay (if you’re in the Portland Area). Well most people might be running to check out Oprah’s book list for their summer read, you should here for your summer read, and it’s all about sex ladies! These five books are my personal favorites, and they will not only be educational but entertaining as well.

Passionista,
By Dr. Ian Kerner, Ph. D.: This is the “empowered woman’s guide to pleasuring a man”. Dr. Kerner is amazing. He is a sex therapist in NYC, and his book is great because it’s not just some superficial how-to, sex position of the day kind of book. This book really helps you understand male sexuality and what is going on in their minds. He covers all the male erogenous zones, typical sex-life ruts, what they fantasize about, and also answers women’s most frequently asked questions. There is also a sort-of “how to” section at the end, but you really need to read the rest of the book first. He also has a counterpart book entitled She Comes First. This would be a great book to give to your partner so they know exactly what YOU’VE been fantasizing about.

Orgasms for Two, By Betty Dodson, Ph. D.: Betty Dodson is the undisputed “Queen of Masturbation” and her first book Sex for One taught us all about self loving. Now she gives us an honest, down-to-earth look at what she calls “partnersex”. Again, this isn’t some how-to manual filled with crazy positions and lacey lingerie.  Dr. Dodson shows readers how to have a healthier and more satisfying se life through the benefits of pleasure, getting to know your partner and getting to know yourself. She also talks about good toys to be used for intercourse. Betty Dodson is AMAZING and I highly recommend this book.

The Guide to Getting It On, By Paul Joannides: This is the all time best sex book ever. Again, I don’t normally condone “how to” books because sex is different for everyone, but this book is a guide for literally every aspect of sex from anatomy, hormones, hand jobs, anal sex, sex with a disabled person, and the importance of getting naked in front of each other. It covers EVERYTHING and in a very real way that is accessible to everyone. It may seem daunting (it’s probably bigger than your BIO 100 text book) but this is a great book to keep on your shelf forever. Plus it makes for a great conversation (or hook up) starter.

Sexstrology, By Starsky and Cox: This is my other all time favorite book that is great to keep on your shelf forever. For anyone who is into Astrological signs, this book is definitely for you! It breaks down every sign by gender to really describe how each sign is mentally, physically, and sexually. I have spent countless hours with friends pouring over this book to try and decipher the behaviors of the guys we like or are interested in. You will learn more about yourself, your partner, or a potential partner from this book then anything else. It will even transform skeptics into Astrology believers.

Sex Camp, By Brian McNaught: While this book isn’t about sex per say, but it is a great book about sexuality and all of it’s various forms. This book takes an in depth look at the Sex Camp that used to be run in upstate New York every year. It was a weeklong retreat for counselors, educators, Planned Parenthood employees, basically anyone who was working in the field of sexuality that helped them understand all aspects of sexuality. There was also a variety of people there from Nuns to ex-gays to transsexuals to someone in a wheelchair.  This book reads more like a novel or even soap opera than an educational book, but it will really broaden the reader’s knowledge of sexuality counseling, training, education, and diversity.

Macey Hall is a senior at the University of Maine studying Journalism with a minor in Sociology. She loves fashion and traveling, and studied abroad last year in England. On campus, she writes a weekly fashion column for the school paper, The Maine Campus, and is president of Lambda Pi Eta, an honor society for Communications students. Macey is an extrovert who loves laughing, tacos, clothes, and reading, and wants to be a Kardashian when she grows up.