12 Painful Moments You Have When You’re the Last to Turn 21

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

You’ve always been the baby of the group. Whenever people ask how old you are, they are shocked by your answer. “How?!” “Did you skip a grade?” Being the baby doesn’t bother you until you reach a certain point in your life. That point is when all of your close friends start turning 21, the legal age to consume alcohol in the United States. The process can be slow and painful, but you’ll eventually reach the big 2-1. Here are some moments you may encounter in the process.

1. It’s Thursday night. Time for Netflix and homework.

2. Avoiding Snapstories like the plague because of FOMO. Plus there are some things you just don’t want to see.

3. FOMO is now a lifestyle.

4. “Dollar Wells? I’ll drive you guys!”

5. The last of your friends just turned 21 and you died a little inside. Goodbye, last friend.

6. Friday and Saturday nights make you feel like a freshman. “So do you wanna go to a frat or secretly drink in my tiny apartment?”

7. Ordering at Margaritas like, “Water, on the rocks, salt on rim. Thanks.”

8. Saying you’ll be the DD like you even have a choice.

9. When your friends are like, “Let’s go to the Old Port this weekend!”

10.   You have a countdown on your phone and it’s moving so slowly. Just 6 more months.

11.   When your friends say, “OMG try the Russelrita!” or “The Lime in the Coconut is the best!”

12.   Watching them go off to Diamond’s and pretending like you don’t want to go.

The best thing that comes out of being the last to turn 21 out of your group of friends is that you’ll have the craziest 21st birthday of them all. You’ll be surrounded by your BFF’s as you celebrate the wildest year of your life. Hang in there, collegiettes!

Kate Berry is a fourth-year journalism major at the University of Maine in Orono. She loves reading about the latest trends and events.