yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

10 Basic Halloween Costumes You Should(n’t) Be This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

1) The Superhero (Wonder Woman)

Yes, we all want to be a superhero. No, this costume will not make us one because there will be at least three other Wonder Womans at the party you are attending. The only superpowers you will acquire will be the ability to glare daggers at the other girls who “stole your idea”.

2) The Nurse

You can buy this costume at any Halloween store for like $30. Boom- you’re done. Hopefully no one would actually need medical assistance on Halloween because we all know they’d be out of luck.

3) The Witch

Okay, ladies, this costume has been overdone since we were children. Almost every girl ever has been a witch for Halloween at some point in their lives. It’s time to put down the pointed hat and pick up some creativity.

4) The Angel

Ah, the angel. So sweet, so innocent. Let’s be real here. That halo and those wings don’t cover up the fact that what you’re wearing is either too short, too tight, too see-through or all of the above. The gates of Heaven are locked on this one.

5) The Devil

The angel’s counterpart. There is no pretending to be innocent here. Throw on some red and devil horns and you’re good to go. Maybe, if you’re lucky, your BFF will dress up as an angel and the two of you can hit the town as the basic dynamic duo that you are.

6) The Mermaid

We all want to be mermaids nowadays. Quotes such as, “Find your inner mermaid” are scattered across Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest. Since when did they become so popular? The inspirational quotes seem to translate to dressing up like a mermaid on Halloween to show your inner self– you and the rest of the female college population. Yikes.

7) The Cop

The most ironic basic costume of them all, considering most collegiate Halloween activities aren’t exactly legal. Picture this – a real cop shoving a fake cop into the back of a police car. Classic.

8) The Ghost

Just drape a white sheet over your head and you’re good to go! Honestly, props to the people who can pull off this costume. Most people would spill something on it within the first 10 minutes and end up ripping it off within the next 20 minutes.

9) The Schoolgirl

This costume is just freaky. We’re in school; we don’t dress like that. Ditch the plaid skirt with the clunky shoes and socks, throw on some yoga pants and a baggy sweatshirt, because that’s what we actually look like 75% of the time.

10) The Cat

Last. but definitely not least – the cat. Does anything really need to be said about this costume? Girls just toss on something tight and black (which is easy since 90% of the clothes we own fall under this category), draw some whiskers and a nose on their face- voila, you have a cat. Most of the time we can’t even be bothered with the ears. Come on, ladies. That is some grade A laziness. Let’s mix it up a little this year, shall we?

But let’s be honest, would it really be Halloween without this plethora of basic costumes? I know we all definitely won’t (will) be seen in any (probably more than one) of these costumes this year. Happy Halloween, you basic b*tches!

Kate Berry is a fourth-year journalism major at the University of Maine in Orono. She loves reading about the latest trends and events.