Women Who Helped Make You, YOU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

In honor of March being Women’s History Month, Her Campus wanted to dedicate an article to some U.S. women who were truly ladies of inspiration and power. The word “Collegiette” is one that used to describe the Her Campus family, its readers, writers, graphic designers, marketers, and everyone helping to develop something great. However, it is important to remember why us Collegiettes are able to do what we do and how successful women of the past have paved our paths towards our own successes. Like any other societal group, women have plowed through many barriers throughout the past hundreds of years providing our generation (and those to come) with a bright future on an illuminating horizon.

1650– American poet, Anne Bradstreet came to the American colonies at the age of 17. Her book of poetry The Tenth Muse Lately Sprung Up in America was published in London, England, making her the first published American woman writer.

1707-Henrietta Johnston, a portrait artist in South Carolina, became the first professional woman artist in America

1792– Suzanne Vaillande is the first woman to work as a choreographer and set designer in New York on the set of the ballet, The Bird Catcher.

1849– For all of you Carver College of Medicine students, find some inspiration from Elizabeth Blackwell. She became the first American woman to receive a medical degree. She received her degree from the Medical Institution of Geneva and later opened up an infirmary for women and children and started her very own medical school for women.

1869– Iowa’s very own, Arabella Mansfield becomes the first woman lawyer in the United States and opened up her own practice in Iowa. Arabella’s success led Iowa to change the state law which did not let minorities take the bar exam.

1896– Alice Guy Blaché films more than 300 films becoming America’s first woman film director.

1916– Montana native, Jeannette Rankin, is the first female elected into the U.S. House of Representatives.

1921The Age of Innocence written by Edith Wharton, wins the Pulitzer Prize for fiction, making her the first woman to win this award. (This could be you with Iowa’s Creative Writer’s Workshop at your hands!)

1934– Some inspiration for all you future CEO’s out there, Lettie Pate Whitehead worked her way to serve as the first woman director of a major corporation, now a global leader in the beverage industry, Coca-Cola

1964– The Republicans nominated Margaret Chase Smith for president, making her the first woman to be nominated by a major political party.

Whatever you are aiming to become, a writer, dancer, doctor, politician, or director, there is probably a woman who has filled in some potholes to smooth out your journey. If not, get some concrete and pave away!

*photos from google

Gabby is a junior at the University of Iowa, working towards her double major in Communication Studies and Anthropology with a minor is Psychology. She is originally from LaSalle, Illinois and enjoys writing, traveling, and fashion.