Why Iowa City Tailgates Are The BEST

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

It’s 6 a.m. on a Saturday morning and collegiate alarm clocks are going off everywhere. Instead of sleeping in, most students are waking up extra early on one of their few days off to pre-game and tailgate like crazy. Football season here at the University of Iowa isn’t just like any other school’s football season. We take fall football seriously on this campus…very seriously. 

On those early Saturday mornings everyone is donned in their gear, ready to go and excited for what’s to come. Whether they’re wearing black and yellow striped overalls, a black and yellow Hawkeye jersey, or a homemade Hawkeye t-shirt dress, fans from all over the state get decked out in black and yellow from head to toe. Everyone can see all of the bead necklaces, flat bill hats and face tattoos, along with the school spirit in each fan. When you walk down the streets, you will hear an incalculable amount of “Go Hawks” shouts. There isn’t one sad face on those Saturday mornings.

One of the greatest features of an average Iowa City tailgate is Melrose Court, one of the many streets that get blocked off for every home game. Melrose is full of college student houses with large back yards. Almost every backyard will have a massive tailgate going on with hundreds of students crammed in the small space dancing to music and having fun. What backyards aren’t used for parties are then rented out to families, alumni, fraternities or used for extra parking spaces that can run up to $50 a spot. Parking lots all over get closed off with numerous grills, bag games, open car trunks or RV’s. No matter which state (or suburb of Chicago) you’re from, everyone comes together during tailgate time.

Just a couple of blocks away from Melrose, surrounding the Kinnick Stadium area, are multiple food vendors and Hawkeye gear stands to find something for your game-day fashion. Above the noise you can always hear one special vendor calling you over, the infamous “Big ass turkey legs” stand that you can never miss.

The best part about Iowa City tailgates is that you get to experience it all. You get to be in the outside atmosphere surrounded by thousands of people who share the same Hawkeye passion as you do and then you get to choose how you want to finish it all off. When the game starts, a few people remain tailgating. Most people go into Kinnick and attend the game, while others head on to downtown Iowa City to watch the Hawks at a bar. During the game at the bars, people are viewing the game on the big screen TV and during the commercials you can expect one big beer shower dance party. Iowa City lets you choose how you want to cheer on your team. No matter your choice, there will be tons of black and gold wearing fans around you doing the same thing. Win or lose, we are all still proud to be Hawkeyes. 

She is a senior at the University of Iowa majoring in Journalism with a minor in English. On top of being a campus correspondent for Her Campus, Adrian is also a brand ambassador for Quad, a communications intern for Pearson and the marketing director of Iowa's Ed On Campus chapter. When she isn't rereading Harry Potter for the hundredth time, Adrian is playing with her English Bulldog, Stella, or looking at pictures of French Bulldogs on Pinterest. She hopes to someday move into a bigger apartment that can accommodate many pets, write the next greatest novel that will take the world by storm, and be a contributing editor or EIC of a major publication or publishing house.