When That Internship Falls Through

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Well guys……. It’s May (thanks JT).

Can you believe it? I say it every May, but this school year actually flew by. With the last week of classes approaching, summer plans are on the brain [SUMMER!!]. For some of us, summer plans consist of music festivals, pool parties and relaxing at home. While the rest of our summer plans consist of life in the real world- Internships.

Work. Internships. The real world. Why?

It had to come sooner or later. 

For those of you with sunshine and fun for your summer plans, I envy you. For those of you who turned in resume after resume this school year for an internship, I feel for you. I especially feel for you if you fell victim to the ever-so-famous response:

“At this time, we are looking for candidates with a bit more experience!”

The most painful, frustrating line there is (believe me, I know). 

So you didn’t get the internship……. Now what?

First things first- DON’T PANIC!! You didn’t get the internship, it’s not the end of the world (although it totally feels like it).

Ok, so, now:

Keep on keepin on: Get the experience you need! Find a club or organization that relates closely to your future career and become a new member. OR job shadow, or get a job! If you’re a journalism major find a job on the school newspaper or TV news station, take full advantage! Look into every chance you can get and take it. Look for a job in your hometown that could help you with your future, (experience!). Look at small companies and businesses, look everywhere around you. I gurantee you will find something. 

Get online: LinkedIn. LinkedIn. LinkedIn. If you don’t have one, it’s a 2015 MUST! If you do have one, keep updating it! If you’re anything like me, you have one, and you just have no idea how to work it. So for a change of scenery this summer, study up on how to make your profile as awesome as you are. 

Step up your resume: While you’re applying for a job, hundreds of other people are applying for the same one. So, you have to stand out! Recently, I was in touch with an internship and placement coordinator from here at Iowa. I got the chance to look over some ah-mazing resumes…. Just work on your resume. I thought mine was great and fun, no. Add some color or perfume (like Elle Woods), take off your highschool credentials and add EVERYTHING you can think of! Deans List? Add, hello?!!

Enjoy what might be your last summer: This might be a blessing in disguise. Your days of summer bliss aren’t over yet, and this might be your last chance. Live it up. Spontaneous road trips, pool parties, concerts, enjoy the sunshine. Live at the pool. Yupp, its a blessing. 

Start a new Netflix series: JK (but if you do, just watch Grey’s Anatomy to add some credentials).  

Lastly, don’t give up. Start looking for internships now so you stay ahead of the game. Keep working and when you apply next time, they will hate that they ever said no to you in the first place. 

Happy summer y’all~*

Channeling my inner Elle Woods to get through under grad.    
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.