What Should Be In Your Spring Break Makeup Bag

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

When packing for spring break, you want to focus on the essentials. Not only will you not want to pack a lot of makeup, but there are also a lot of regulations on liquids if you are planning to fly to your destination. If you are going somewhere warm and sunny, it is important you have the right makeup to protect your skin and stay when you get wet, all while looking great. Here are the six must-have’s in your spring break makeup bag.

Facial Sunscreen

Even if all of the makeup you choose to wear contains SPF, your skin still needs the protection of an actual sunscreen. Use this in the place of your daily facial moisturizer, and you won’t end up with the awful peeling red skin when you come back from spring break.

Primer

It is always a good idea to start off with a primer. This will smooth out your skin, especially for this look where you may be choosing a lower coverage foundation. This is also important because many primers contain SPF, which will be important if you are out in the sun all day.

BB or CC cream

Though BB and CC creams tend to offer less coverage, they often contain SPF and come in waterproof varieties. BB and CC creams will offer a more natural finish that you are looking for during spring break. They have enough coverage to even out skintone, but not so much coverage that your makeup looks caked on.

Waterproof Mascara

Mascara is essential to make your eyes appear open and bright, but nothing is worse than the racoon eyes that come after swimming with mascara on. Waterproof mascara solves this problem and allows you to cool off without ruining your makeup.

Tinted Lip Balm with SPF

Not only will tinted lip balm add a pop of color to your spring break look, it will keep your lips hydrated and protected from the sun.

Setting Spray

Setting spray will lock in your makeup and take away the stickiness of the BB or CC cream. I prefer a matte finish spray that tends to make your look a bit more natural, especially with liquid foundations. This could also help if you have oily skin or are sweating from the spring break heat.

My name is Sarah Pippin, and I am from Marshalltown Iowa. I am studying Communications with a Writing Certificate in Writing for Media, and a minor in Cinematic Arts at the University of Iowa. I am involved in service projects around campus and Iowa City as a member of Alpha Phi Omega Omicron. I also host Pippin Talk a talk show on Saturday's from 11am-12 on KRUI Iowa City 89.7 FM. I LOVE all things makeup and fashion. You can check out my blog at http://sispip85.wix.com/allmadeup I am an avid Grey's Anatomy, F.R.I.E.N.D.S, Gossip Girl, and Gilmore Girls fan.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.