This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

I know it’s been awhile since The Greatest Showman came out, but I will gush about this movie any chance I get. It’s been awhile since I’ve been super into a musical, and I think it’s safe to say that I fell in love with this movie.

The Greatest Showman not only had amazing songs, but hit the important topic of embracing your flaws, things people fail to do today.

Keala Settle, who plays the bearded lady, sings the song “This Is Me.” It appears at a crucial turn of events in the movie, and she builds the courage to embrace her differences. This song’s message is so powerful. It tells us that while people may try their best to push you down, there’s always a way to drown their words and stand up tall. Don’t be scared of you are, and don’t feel like you don’t belong. Be unapologetically you, and once you are, you’ll realize you’re much more confident and have the ability to stand up for yourself.  

It’s difficult, it always is, but once you do you’ll feel liberated. Don’t change for anyone.

The friendship portrayed in this movie is also great. When these people, who are considered ‘different’, come together and create something extraordinary, it makes you realize how grateful you should be for the people around you. Whether it’s your friends or family, you are a part of something and be glad for that. Don’t take anyone for granted because that’s the fastest way to let someone go.  

Not only people, but what you have around you. If it’s success or money, don’t let it change who you are because it’s easy to get lost in power. In this movie, Hugh Jackman’s character easily takes his early success for granted and it changes him as he forgets why he started and what he did in the first place.

The Greatest Showman also teaches you that not everyone is going to be on the same page as you, and that’s perfectly alright. You’re not going to make everyone happy, and its important to learn to take criticism. Are you going to like it? Of course not, but that’s just life. People say things you don’t want to hear, but it might help you sometimes to succeed. In The Greatest Showman, there were so many people who were against the show that was being put on, but that didn’t mean the show was stopped. The show must go on after all, right?

If you want to aim for your dreams, take risks. It’s as simple as that. It might seem scary in the moment, but nothing ever happens if you sit back and watch the days pass by right before your eyes. Hugh Jackman’s character had close to nothing when he decided to make his dreams come true. He didn’t give up, and he didn’t stop. Try being positive and be ambitious when you want to do something. Whether it’s acing your next exam, or learning to play a new instrument… who is stopping you? You’re the only person who can ever get in your way. 

If you haven’t watched it yet, you should, because you have waited too long! 

Photos: Cover,1, 2

Ridhima Jagtap is a college newbie, a.k.a a freshman, working towards a degree in the field of journalism. You'll often find her chasing after cats and watching adorable cat videos on YouTube. If she's not doing this then she'll be singing her lungs out so that her whole floor can hear her. She hopes to blow people away with writing what she's passionate about. Books, music and a lot of animals!
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.