This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

It’s the beginning of spring break, you just finished all of your midterms, and you cannot wait to be on a beach soaking up the sun (and boys) with your best friends. Only one thing lies in-between you and the perfect week: a car ride. Or, if you want to look at it positively: a ROAD TRIP! So, you pack your bags after that one midterm you had Friday morning and hop in the car. Now what? You can stare at your phone the entire 14 hour drive, or you could follow this list of activities to do on your way.

1. You’re probably going on break with a group of friends, or at least you know people that will be in the same area as you. Put the boys’ names in one hat and girls in the other. Take turns drawing a name from each, and if those people haven’t at least kissed by the end of the week, you owe them a dollar.
  2. Allow someone to be the DJ who will choose the songs. Each person has the first five seconds of each song to accurately guess what the title and artist is. If they get it wrong, it’s their turn to drive next.
  3. Make a playlist of songs that remind you of various weekends that you’ve experienced throughout the year and allow yourselves a “throwback” hour. You won’t be able to stop laughing at the things you will remember.
  4. Google map every major town that you will pass through on your way to your destination. Stop in each town at the tackiest tourist store you can find and buy matching t shirts, maximum $4.00. You’ll be grateful you have them when you want to remember your trip.
  5. Try to have a conversation as someone else that is in the car. That is, you should participate in the conversation in a way that you think the person to your left would communicate. Imitate their laugh, jokes and voice. You’ll be dying over what your friends think you sound like.

Long car rides are tough, but with good company, good music, and good games, it is sure to fly by. Safe travels!

I am a sophomore at the University of Iowa studying English and Communication Studies. My hobbies include writing, running, looking at cute animal memes, and of course, napping.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.