What To Do Now That It’s SUMMER

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

It’s that time of year, again. You threw away your notes and sold your books back. You hugged all of your friends goodbye. You packed and are loaded into the car, ready to make the epic drive back to home, wherever home may be.

With the radio blasting, windows rolled down, and the sun beating on your skin, there is only one word that is probably running through your mind: summer. But, with not sleeping for a week and just finishing up finals, going for a run and meeting up with your high school friends may not be high on your to-do list. So, how do you start the summer off right?

Sleep in…but not too late:

Being sleep deprived is a given for any college girl. From socializing to studying, college students only get about six to seven hours of sleep, while the recommended dosage is eight to nine. Those hours can add up. So, plan on snoozing in a little longer than usual, but not too long that you waste your day away and the morning is over.

Start with a healthful breakfast:

“Starting the day with a healthy meal may help keep your appetite in check, resulting in healthier food choices overall. Nutrients consumed at breakfast also may lead to a better ability to perform physical activity later in the day,” says Dr. Suzanne Phelan, Ph.D., assistant professor of psychiatry and human behavior at Brown Medical School and co-investigator for the National Weight Control Registry. As college girls, many times eating breakfast goes out the window or ends up being a high-sugar cereal bar. Classes are over. Take the time to make a nutritious breakfast of eggs, fruit, and whole wheat toast with a glass of OJ.

Tune out of technology:

Young adults spend more time watching television, “facebooking,” and texting than actually being interactive, says an MSNBC news article. It’s summer and the need for the internet is slim to none. Instead of watching other friends’ summers on the Internet, go experience your own!

Catch up with an old friend:

Some high school friendships tend to die, but others will last a lifetime. Call a friend and meet for coffee. Try to catch up on what each of you has missed since being away in college.

Find a job:

It will be hard once high school kids have gotten out of school to find a job, so start looking now. Browse your favorite stores and restaurants. Chances are they will be hiring for summer!

Relax with a magazine or book:

I bet it’s been a long time since you’ve curled up with a magazine. Select an assortment from your nearest convenient store and lounge out in the sun with some ice cold pink lemonade and a swim suit. Or, an easy-read book of gossip and romance and escape into a fantasy.

Eat dinner with your family:

Your family hasn’t seen you all semester. Staying in for a home-cooked meal or dining out with them means the world to parents. Enjoy a meal and refresh their brains on the latest in your life.

Sources:

College Tidbits 

MSNBC

The Guardian

The Daily Green

How Stuff Works

CNN 

Emily is a junior at the University of Iowa and is studying Journalism and Pre-Law with a minor in Health Communication. She has been a part of the Her Campus University of Iowa team since it was founded in 2010 and is a member of Ed on Campus. She has grown to love magazine writing and editing and if she somehow can't land her dream job (to be Carrie Bradshaw), she wouldn't mind settling for a job in the magazine industry. If nothing else, she hopes to attend law school somewhere in the Bay Area out West, her favorite place to be. Since the age of 15, Emily spent her summers in California, doing internships and falling in love with San Francisco. Some of her other interests include her 4-month-old longhaired wiener dog Henry, blogging, celebrity gossip, sushi, Private Practice, fro-yo, being a journalism nerd, and anything involving good conversation with good people. Although she's not exactly sure of her plans for the future, she knows journalism will somehow be the driving force in her career.