Wellness > Sex + Relationships

What To Do If Your Relationship Becomes Too Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

The beginning of every relationship is typically filled with excitement. There is the constant wondering about what will happen next and where your relationship will go. Part of the excitement comes from still having a lot of ‘firsts’- the first date, the first time you hold hands, the first kiss and the first sexual experience. The point is, everything about your relationship is still new, but that “honeymoon” phase doesn’t last forever.

There comes a time when you aren’t as concerned about impressing the other person and start to settle in. That settling in is a result of comfort starting to grow between you and the other person. This is a good thing. However, this comfort can also lead to a routine forming, which can be kind of scary. From my personal experience and being in a relationship for almost three years, I have been in and out of these bouts of routine. Lucky for you, I have come up with some of the best tips and tricks to escape that routine that also allows your relationship with your significant other to grow!

Tip 1: Reminisce and Re-enact!

This is my favorite tip to escape routine because it takes you back to the basics of your relationship. All you need to do is talk to your SO about your favorite dates and why they meant so much to you. Doing this will remind you of why you fell in love in the first place. It will also give you some insight on what to do on future dates. If you are looking to go a little further, why not reenact them?

Tip 2: It’s the Little Things

When you are stuck in a routine, there is nothing better than little surprises to help you escape it and make your SO feel extra special. Here are some ideas:

• Put “Good Morning” and “Goodnight” reminders in your SO’s phone without them knowing and set it for every day. They will eventually figure out what is going on, but it never gets old. Trust me.

• Go old fashioned and write an actual letter to send in the mail. You might have to let them know they got something in the mail because few people check, but it will still be exciting for them to open it and see what you say.

• If you’ve ever had your SO fall asleep on you, how about you send them a meaningful text that they can wake up to in the morning. That will start their day off right and make them feel extra loved.

These are just a few ideas to get you thinking. I bet that if you do some of these things for them, they will do some or come up with more to do for you!

Tip 3: Set Aside Extra Time For Just You and Your SO

Sometimes it’s really hard to stay focused when there are so many other things going on in your life. We are also addicted to social media and being on our phones. Guess what, you are neglecting your SO. It is really important to set aside time to spend with your SO without any distractions. The conversations will be deeper and your relationship will grow stronger if you are able to do this.

Tip 4: Plan Something for the Near Future

Making big plans with your SO, like going on a trip, to a concert, or just simply planning a weekend getaway that you can both look forward to, will help keep you excited and give you something to talk about and continue to plan for. Then once one plan is finished, make a new one! These plans don’t always have to be with just you and your SO. How about you ask some of your friends to come too? I think I feel a double date coming on!

Tip 5: Realize that Falling into Routines is Normal

Last, but not least, do not freak out if you feel like your relationship is becoming too routine. It is normal and it happens- it does not mean that your relationship is doomed. There are tons of ways to get out of this rut, not just the ones I listed above. It is just really important to go out of your comfort zone and do something for the person you love. A good life lesson is to always show the people you love just how much you care about them. Don’t let them ever forget it!

Delaney is a journalism major with a certificate in sustainability at the University of Iowa. Her dream career is to become a Marine Biologist and advocate for the environment through research and writing. In her free time, she enjoys music, friends, and the occasional ice cream venture (Okay, maybe not so occasional).