Underrated Rom Coms for a Cozy Night-In

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

There is never a bad time to watch a romantic comedy. But there’s something about the colder weather that makes it even more appealing; what could be better than a night spent snuggling up in cozy clothes with a cup of hot tea or cocoa and the perfect romantic comedy? Here are some romantic comedies that perhaps you haven’t seen, or have forgotten about, to get you started on your own cozy night-in.

A Classic: Notting Hill (1999)

This is one of my all-time favorite rom coms. Hugh Grant plays a very normal guy as a bookstore owner. Julia Roberts plays a glamorous movie star. One day their paths cross, and, well, you’ll have to watch the movie to see how the rest of it plays out. The two stars have great chemistry and make the movie both hilarious and adorable. 

Quirky: One Small Hitch (2013)

I discovered this gem one night when I was scouring Netflix. Two friends, Josh and Molly, who have known each other since childhood pretend to be engaged in order to fulfill Josh’s dying dad’s dream: to see his son get married. However, to what level are they pretending? Watch this cute movie on Netflix for an instant pick-me-up.

When Two Worlds Collide: Maid in Manhattan (2002)

I grew up watching this movie all the time with my mom, so I have a certain soft spot for it. Bonus: it’s on Netflix, too! Jennifer Lopez plays a maid in a fancy hotel, but when she runs into a wealthy politician while working, he becomes interested in her, not realizing she is a maid. Though the initial plot sounds simple, it develops to showcase the degrees to which she can pretend to be someone else before it causes more hurt than good. It also brings into question, can two people from different worlds be together?

Goofy: Fever Pitch (2005)

This movie stars Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore. If that isn’t incentive enough, here’s a brief description: Jimmy Fallon plays an avid Red Sox fan. Meanwhile, Barrymore isn’t into baseball at all, but when the two meet, their chemistry is undeniable. However, can his romantic relationship be as strong as his connection to baseball?

Holiday: While You Were Sleeping (1995)

Another movie on Netflix, this one is perfect as the holidays get closer. Sandra Bullock plays a lonely woman working in the subway on Christmas when she saves a handsome man’s life. A misunderstanding occurs at the hospital he is taken to, and his family believes she is engaged to him. While she barely knows the man, she gets caught up in a lie she cannot escape because of his family: the family she always wished she had. And there’s a cute brother in the family. So that’s a bonus. Watch this movie to remember what family, love and the holidays are all about.  

Now that you have a couple ideas, plan your next cozy night-in to get a break from the cold weather and stress of everyday life. Happy movie watching!

U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.