Top 5 Winter Clearance Must Buys

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

The excitement of the New Year—in all its tinseled glory—has passed, but scattered remnants of the season live on in the thrill of post-holiday shopping.  The annual end-of-January sales has returned shoppers to stores in hopes of finding the perfect bargain to bedazzle their tired closets.  In the midst of epic deals, it can be hard to abandon the dark lure of impulse buys as that red sticker riddled with price cuts calls your name.  Face it, your wardrobe is not wanting for yet another ugly sweater, but there is hope for you on your markdown mission.  Below are the top five must buys for this season to revamp your outfit rotation into 2015.

1.) A Black Fitted Peacoat:

Everyone needs a black peacoat, and this classic fit from Burlington Coat Factory is an update to your worn-out winter jacket that has carried you through two months of bitter wind and wet snow.  At $39.99 this beauty is a steal.

2.) A Fun Jacket:

Look fresh in the cold with this tribal print faux leather jacket.  Originally $70, this essential outfit changer can be yours for $51.75 on Dillards.com

3.) A Comfy Cardigan:

Slip into comfort with this jersey knit cardigan in select colors (gray, navy, burgundy, teal, tan, olive and gold).  For only $10 on Target.com this cozy must-have is perfect for all of those cold walks to class.  Try it in olive for an earth-toned outfit.

4.) Dark-Wash Cords:

Pack up your jeans and purchase these dark-washed corduroys from Gap.  Perfect winter pants, these skinny cords are made modern for the urban socialite.  Get them for only $25.99, and check out the rest of Gap’s 75% off final sale merchandise while you’re at it.  The deals are well worth your dollar.

5.) Lace-Up Boots:

A girl always needs more practical shoes for snow-filled endeavors, and these brown, lace up boots from Younkers will not disappoint on comfort or style.  Originally $95 these Ruff Hewn boots are slashed to a mere $35.49, and come in light tan or dark brown.

As you embark upon your shopping adventure you can now go into the sale racks with confidence, keeping an eye out for these basic winter necessities.  Use your best judgment when finding a ridiculous deal.  If you can’t pair the item with a majority of your closet, or for several different scenarios, it is probably not worth the buy.  Be smart and think practically.  Happy shopping!

I am in my senior year and last semester at the University of Iowa, majoring in journalism, minoring in English and pursuing a certificate in creative writing. My passions include writing (poetry, short fiction and anything my mind must expel onto the page), working out and spending time with my friends. I stand by the aphorism, "the pen is mightier than the sword" and hope to use my skills as a writer to positively impact as many people on this planet as I can.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.