Tis the Season for Apples…and Apple Cider Vinegar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Fall is the highlight of the apple season. Whether you’re crunching into a crisp Gala, Washington or Granny Smith apple, one thing you might not have heard of is apple cider vinegar.  When I typed in the world detox onto Pinterest, over half of the pins involved this product. Apple cider vinegar has been on the rise in the last few years and is said to be able to treat numerous diseases, health conditions, and annoyances such as head lice, easing digestion and washing toxins from the body.  Here are a few ways that you can use this vinegar in your day-to-day routine with some easy ingredients from the cupboard. 

1. The Easy Start

Simply mix 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar into an 8 ounce glass of water and drink before every meal. This will not only make you fuller faster, but will also aid digestion and release toxins throughout the day.

2. A Detox

Mix 8 ounces of water, 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, 2 teaspoons of freshly squeezed lemon, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon a 1 teaspoon of raw honey. Drink this each morning for a detox drink that will not only cleanse your body, but also boost your metabolism.

3. Cleansing your skin

If applied topically, apple cider vinegar can also reduce acne and acne scars. Make a small mixture of about 80% ACV and 10% water. Then just pour a little onto a cotton pad and apply to your face 2-3 times a day. Wait 10 minutes before you touch your face or apply anything else on it such as makeup. In a few days, you should see reduced redness and bumps.

Apple cider vinegar isn’t the best tasting mixture for some DIY detox drinks.  Experts recommend always mixing it with water to dilute the strong flavor and odor when applying it to your face.  For best results, try buying the organic kind. While it might be a few dollars more, the bottles tend to last quite awhile. You can find this easy home remedy in both the food and health aisles in most large grocery stores.

Photos: Wikimedia Commons

She is a senior at the University of Iowa majoring in Journalism with a minor in English. On top of being a campus correspondent for Her Campus, Adrian is also a brand ambassador for Quad, a communications intern for Pearson and the marketing director of Iowa's Ed On Campus chapter. When she isn't rereading Harry Potter for the hundredth time, Adrian is playing with her English Bulldog, Stella, or looking at pictures of French Bulldogs on Pinterest. She hopes to someday move into a bigger apartment that can accommodate many pets, write the next greatest novel that will take the world by storm, and be a contributing editor or EIC of a major publication or publishing house.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.