The Sunday Sads: What Are They and How to Beat Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

I cannot even put into words how amazing it feels when I get out of work on Friday afternoon and realize I have a whole weekend ahead of me to relax, hang out with friends, procrastinate my homework, and on good weekends, SHOP.

Yet somehow, (it is still a huge mystery, let me know if you figure it out) Sunday always comes in the blink of an eye. One minute you are celebrating FAC with your friends, and the next it’s Sunday night, a whole week of class, homework, tests, and stress staring at you in the face.

This, my friends, is what I call the Sunday Sads. You realize all of the stuff that you have due this coming week, you start feeling homesick, and you just want to fast-forward through the week and have it be Friday afternoon again. Unfortunately, life doesn’t work this way, so figuring out a way to keep yourself motivated and happy, even on those dreaded and dreary Sunday afternoons, is key to starting the week off right.

1. Stay Busy. This may seem obvious, but the busier you are, the less likely you’ll have time to think about your puppy you miss at home, or the home cooked meal your mom is cooking for your family without you. Get up early for breakfast at Hamburg Inn with your besties, bake brownies, hit up the rec center or field house for some exercise, clean your apartment or dorm, or go for a walk in downtown Iowa City.
  2. Don’t procrastinate…well, for too long. I can’t sit here and say to not procrastinate because well, we all do it. But don’t put off everything you have due until Sunday night at 9 p.m. Keep a calendar or planner and take a look at what the next week has in store for you on Friday, and plan out what you have to get done. If you see that it is going to be a lot, plan your Sunday accordingly. The Iowa City Public Library is a great place to study on Sunday afternoons, and it closes at 5 p.m. so you will be motivated to get your stuff done by then.
  3. Shop! I realize placing this after telling you to try and not procrastinate is somewhat ironic, but I am a FIRM believer in retail therapy. You don’t have to go blow all of your paycheck on Sunday afternoons, but getting in a quick trip to refresh your freezer at Hy-Vee, or a new sweater for the week at Target will do wonders for your mood. Treat yourself to an iced-coffee, or grab lunch while your out, and you’ll be feeling refreshed and ready to go for the week ahead.
  4. Call Home. Catch up with your family at home and see how their weekend was. They will really appreciate hearing from you, and you’ll love getting a little taste of home. Maybe mom will send you a care package if you are nice… oh, and we can’t forget about a possible Sunday night Skype session with your dog to boost your mood. Hopefully I’m not the only insane dog-lover who does that…
  5. Modern Family. This one’s a little biased. But when I am sad or homesick, popping in my Modern Family DVD or finding the episodes online perks my mood up instantly! The ABC show, in its third season, has won a few Emmy’s and is one of the funniest shows on television today. If it doesn’t at least make you laugh for the time being, then I don’t know what will! The 30-minute episodes are a perfect pick-me-up for the Sunday Sads. If Modern Family isn’t your thing, try The Office or another TV comedy that won’t take up too much of your time, but is enough to boost your mood!

Don’t let the Sunday Sads lead to the Monday Blues! We at Her Camps UIowa know the weekends are never long enough, but follow these tips and you can avoid feeling down on Sundays. 

Photo Credit

Peter Frankman is an underclassman at the University of Iowa from Burbank, California. He has a few addictions in his life: writing, reading, heavy metal, Adult Swim, and any movie with zombies. He joined The University of Iowa's Her Campus team as the writer of the "From a Guy's Perspective" articles in January 2011 and hasn't looked back since (except to make sure he doesn't write the same article twice). Peter's a major in both Journalism and Creative Writing and hopes to become a writer in some way, shape or form after he graduates. That or the President of the United States, he hasn't really focused too much to say anything decisive yet... or maybe he has, we're not quite sure. If he had to choose a night of guilty pleasures it would include the Beastie Boys, Monster Import: Light, Zebra Cakes, and a marathon of subpar movies that he thinks are amazing (Blade, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Fast and the Furious, etc).