Summer Sale Must-Grabs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

As September begins and the number of days over 60 degrees are numbered, we are reminded once again that the season of tank tops and suntans has come to an end.

However, this is a unique opportunity to grab some summer staples at extremely low prices if you have the gumption to look.  Here are the pieces to be on the lookout for if you happen to find yourself perusing those racks in the next few weeks:

Warm-weather denim

Jeans are a wardrobe necessity anytime of the year.  Jean skirts or shorts can be dressed up or dressed down to make any summer wardrobe stand out.  This versatile material will be on sale everywhere as the season winds down.  Denim is often a costly purchase and this is the perfect way to do away with that extra expense. 

Caption: GB Gianni Bini Cuffed Denim Shorts, $26.40, available at Dillard’s

Check out these locations for online savings:

Moderate pricing, classic look: American Eagle Outfitters
Department store-savings: Dillard’s
Low-cost variety: Forever 21
Discounted statement pieces: Urban Outfitters

Summer shoes

Sandals of all kinds are now on sale, and girl if you haven’t looked yet, you are missing out.  Your shoe size thankfully never changes and with the proper care, shoes can give you seemingly endless styling options.  This is the time to pick up some shoes that’ll make those gams look endless and gorgeous all summer long.

Caption: Chinese Laundry Big Bang Sandal, $49.94, available at DSW

Designer discounts: BlueFly.com   
Endless options: DSW
For flip-flop fanatics: Old Navy
Variety savings: Famous Footwear

Beachwear

Now if you’re like me, your swimsuit size may fluctuate after a cool weather season full of holidays and general indoor laziness, but this is the perfect time to save on swimwear.  Bikinis are flying off the racks at insanely low prices.  Just think of it as initiative to start thinking about swimsuit season before the spring break frenzy hits. 

Caption: Floral Ruffle Bandeau Top and Bottom, $28 and $18, Victoria’s Secret

Sexy options for all shapes: Victoria’s Secret
High-end savings: Everything But Water
Suit steals: Old Navy
Name brands discounted: Younker’s

Brynne Schweigel is a senior studying Journalism and Mass Communication as well as Political Science at the University of Iowa. She currently contributes fashion pieces to the University of Iowa Her Campus branch's blog. She writes weekly for the University of Iowa's Center for Global and Regional Environmental Research's blog, the Iowa Environmental Focus, and had pieces published in The Daily Iowan. She spent the Spring 2010 semester interning at the state capitol in Des Moines. In her spare time, Brynne enjoys shopping, reading, running, listening to music and playing with her puppy, Bonnie.  She will graduate in December 2011 and hopes to move somewhere that never has snow.
Peter Frankman is an underclassman at the University of Iowa from Burbank, California. He has a few addictions in his life: writing, reading, heavy metal, Adult Swim, and any movie with zombies. He joined The University of Iowa's Her Campus team as the writer of the "From a Guy's Perspective" articles in January 2011 and hasn't looked back since (except to make sure he doesn't write the same article twice). Peter's a major in both Journalism and Creative Writing and hopes to become a writer in some way, shape or form after he graduates. That or the President of the United States, he hasn't really focused too much to say anything decisive yet... or maybe he has, we're not quite sure. If he had to choose a night of guilty pleasures it would include the Beastie Boys, Monster Import: Light, Zebra Cakes, and a marathon of subpar movies that he thinks are amazing (Blade, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Fast and the Furious, etc).