This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

I was bald until I was about 2 years old. My mom would dress me in the most feminine, girly dresses and onesies, yet she’d receive the same response over and over again: “Oh! What a cute little baby boy!” Eventually, she gave up explaining that she did not find (odd) joy in dressing her baby boy in frilly outfits, but that I was in fact, a girl. As soon as I hit the age of 3, however, my hair wouldn’t stop growing. I turned out with a giant head of brown curls that had a mind of their own. Currently 22, I still have a hefty head of hair.

Now, I don’t want you to think I’m complaining, because I feel super #blessed that I have a ginormous head of hair that many girls envy. I like to keep my hair long, but it’s a lot of work. If I want to style it, I need at least an hour to even blow it out and style it. It’s a blessing and a curse at the same time. I usually just end up keeping it down or throwing it up into a high pony because I have given up all hope for those elaborate hairstyles you see on Pinterest that look so effortless…but when you actually try to do them, you fail so miserably. I have such long hair that half the styles don’t even work on it. However, I’m determined to take the time to learn how to style my long hair into fun creations that I can master for the spring. I know I can do it and I think you can, too! If you find yourself discouraged with your beautiful long locks, here are some styles (all from Pinterest, of course).

1. The casual twist

2. The elaborate, but easy pull-through braid

3. Sectioned Pony

4. The Not-So-Boring Pony

I hope these looks inspire you to think outside the box this spring when it comes to your locks. I know they did for me! HCXO

Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4

Hannah is a junior at The University of Iowa. She is a student in The UI School of Journalism and Mass Communication, as well as the Communications Undergrad Program. She is actively involved on campus, and enjoys cooking & working out. She's obsessed with her dog, Toby and hopes to one day work in fashion public relations.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.