This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

As someone who has hair that is a lot of work and skin that is low maintenance, I have a very unique beauty routine. I really like makeup, but I am not the most skilled at applying it, so these items are my go tos and have truly changed my life. 

Clinique Step 2 Lotion

I use this at night or in the morning if I have been sweating at all. It is a great way to make your face feel clean and I use it every day with a cotton wipe, where I apply the lotion and then wipe it all over my face, specifically the parts I think are super greasy. I usually follow up with the next product.

Link to product here.

Clinique Lotion

Although this product is pricey compared to some of the others, it lasts me months and hydrates my skin without making it incredibly greasy. My only issue with this product is that if you are a sweaty mess like me, sometimes the sweat can show a lot more on your face, making you look like a hot mess.

Link to product here.

Vanity Planet Exfoliator

This product is amazing because it has several different attachments for your face and body that work really well. I put cleanser on the brush and then exfoliate my face for about two minutes and it has significantly reduced the amount of acne I have had. Also, many YouTubers have promoted it and with the coupon code below. It goes from $100 to $30, so that is an amazing deal.

Link to product here. But if you want 70% off use this code: Yasmyn

Aveda Curl Enhancer

This product changed my hair and the definition of the curls. I put a dime size portion in my hand after I take a shower and brush my hair, then combine it with the product below and crunch my hair. This product is hard to find because it is only sold at Aveda stores and stores affiliated with Aveda, but it is well worth the find and the investment.

Link to the product here.

Garnier Leave-In Conditioner

I have been using this product for over seven years and it has saved my hair. My hair easily feels dry and this product is so nice to throw in after a shower or before I go swimming to protect my hair. I also use it as a hair mask and will put it in my hair 30 minutes before a shower. This product also smells incredible and fixes dry hair for a cheap price.

Link to product here.

Tarte Shape Tape

If you watch any beauty YouTuber it is no surprise that this product is on my list. I use it on my under eyes as well as blemishes I have and it blends incredibly well. You can wear it with other face products or as a stand-alone and it works amazingly either way.

Link to product here.

Burt’s Bees Original

After trying many different lip products, Burt’s Bees is not only my favorite in the way that it works, but I also admire the company as well. This product is the first I have had that lasts longer than a few months and also has not melted in my car. I have about seven of these scattered around my room and accessories.

Link to product here.

Benefit Bang! Mascara

This mascara has been amazing for my lashes and volumizes it incredibly well. I have tried many different mascaras and struggled to find one that makes my lashes thicker while also making them longer. My lashes are also naturally a light brown color and within a few swipes of the brush, it makes my lashes dark and beautiful.

Link to product here.

Love Planet Beauty Yellow

These Love, Beauty, and Planet shampoo and conditioner are great for curly hair that needs a little love. These products are vegan and free of harmful chemicals and the bottles are recyclable, they are also sold at Target so they are easy to find and are not too expensive compared to salon brands.

Link to product here.

Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Pencil

This is not a brow pencil for those who do not have brows, but those whose brows need a little filling in. This brow pencil comes in many different colors and lasts a few months.

Link to product here.

Tory Burch Perfume

These mini perfume samples are not only cheap and smell amazing, but they are perfect to put in purses and bags.

Link to product here.

Troye Sivan Beauty Video

This video is one that I always share and is amazing for beginners. Troye is like me in the sense that he watches beauty gurus on YouTube but is not a makeup expert. His makeup look is one that anyone can do and takes less than ten minutes which is perfect for when you wake up late but still want to look cute.

Link to video here.

I hope these products and videos help with any beauty changes you are hoping to make, but also remember you do not need these to be beautiful and that it is a-okay to go bare and natural.

Image Credit: cover, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12

U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.