The New Year is just around the corner and before we know it, 2014 is history and it’s 2015. While you’re busy eating up those leftover Christmas cookies, you’ll probably forget to think of a New Years resolution that you will ACTUALLY follow this year. If you’re sick of your resolutions consisting of dieting, working out more and eating healthy that only lasts a month – okay, two at most – then you’re in luck.
Here are some New Year’s Resolutions that you haven’t thought of before.
1. Try something new every month. Try a new class at your gym. Try a new restaurant and don’t order chicken parmesan every single time. Try a new movie, TV show, hair style, hair color, etc. The list is endless.
2. Volunteer more. Visit the local animal shelter, good will center, hospital, church or soup kitchen and get involved. You can also donate blood and clothes. We guarantee that changing the lives of other people will help change yours, too.
3. Eat breakfast every day.
4. Schedule more “me” time.
5. Put your phone away for one hour a day. A whole HOUR without texting, snapchat, Instagram, Twitter and Facebook?!?! Yes, you can do it. It will make you feel better and give you more free time to chat with family and friends, read a book, watch television, take a nap or just relax. You’d be surprised how many funny comments and moments you’d miss because you were staring at your phone.
6. Be more open to change and forgiveness.
7. Read a book every month. Believe it or not, libraries are more than just places where students go to study for finals. And yes, books made of paper STILL exist. But fortunately, you can read books on your iPad and Kindle now, too. Whatever gets you reading.
8. If you’re religious, make more time for prayer. God is someone who is always willing to listen and never judge.
9. Support local small businesses and keep your money where you live. Molly’s Cupcakes and Short’s are just as delicious as Chipotle and Noodles, trust us. The ped mall has tons of small business with cute clothes and antiques that you’d be surprised to find. And – it’s closer than the mall.
10. Keep a journal. You’d be amazed at how many good memories you make everyday that you forget about. Plus, journals are a great way to relieve stress and talk about personal emotions that you aren’t comfortable sharing with your friends or family.
11. Give more compliments. Smiles are contagious :)
12. Give yourself more credit and always try your best.
Hopefully, you’ll try one of these resolutions in 2015. It’s okay if it doesn’t last the whole year or isn’t 100% consistent, but as long as you’re open to resolutions and improving yourself and your daily life, then you’re the real winner. Best of luck! And, Happy New Year.