This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

With so many great movies coming out this year, it is especially hard to watch so many before award season is sprung upon us. Since it can be difficult to decide which ones are worth watching, I have listed this year’s must-see movies. Many of which have gained immense recognition by being the most nominated this award season. 

Spider-Man Into the Spider-Verse

As it has beaten Pixar’s the Incredibles 2, as well as other fan favorites like Ralph Breaks the Internet, for Best Animated film at this year’s Golden Globes, this made me realize it was not a movie to mess with. This Marvel film took a different route by being an animated film and gives us a new take on Spider-Man. The film is about, teen Miles Morales becoming Spider-Man of his dimension, crossing paths with five counterparts from other dimensions to stop a threat for all realities. It ranked number 1 at the box office it’s opening weekend and made up to $35,363,376! It’s not too late to catch it in theaters. 

BlackKklansman

With 6 academy award nominations, the help of Spike Lee’s comedic stylings, the film tells the story based on actual events. Ron Stallworth, an African American police officer from Colorado Springs, CO successfully manages to infiltrate the local Ku Klux Klan branch with the help of a Jewish surrogate, who eventually becomes its leader. This non-traditional movie will bring laughs to a serious topic and can be rented or bought today! 

Beautiful Boy

This time last year we were all introduced to the amazingly talented Timothee Chalamet, and this movie just shows how much more we are grateful for him. Chalamet offers a great performance alongside the one and only Steve Carell. Based on the best-selling pair of memoirs from father and son David and Nic Sheff, Beautiful Boy chronicles the heartbreaking and inspiring experience of survival, relapse and recovery in a family coping with addiction over many years. Although snubbed from the Oscars, the movie and the incredible actors have been nominated several times for best picture and actor. Amazon Prime users can now view this for free or can be rented or bought on other streaming programs. 

Green Book

Based on a true story, working-class Italian-American bouncer, Tony Lip,  becomes the driver of an African-American classical pianist, Dr. Don Shirley. They go on a tour of venues through the 1960s American South and become unsuspected friends along the way. Both actors are nominated in for their leading and supporting roles at the academy awards and Mahershala Ali has earned the Best Supporting Actor award at the Golden Globes. This movie is still in select theaters. 

Black Panther

Although Marvel films have always brought us box office hits, this is the first time a superhero movie has been nominated for Best Picture. While it was also one of the first to be nominated at the Golden Globes, it is one of the most nominated movies for this year’s Oscars. T’Challa, heir to the hidden but advanced kingdom of Wakanda, must step forward to lead his people into a new future. He confronts a challenger from his country’s past and fights to bring justice and pride back to Wakanda. This movie will have you chanting Wakanda Forever by the time you’re out of the theater. 

Vice

The story of former Vice President Dick Cheney, who quietly wielded immense power as Vice President to George W. Bush, reshaping the country and the globe in ways that we still see today. Christian Bale’s unrecognizable transformation of the former VP earned him a Golden Globe for Best Actor as well as a nomination at the Academy Awards.

Bohemian Rhapsody

Freddie Mercury may have passed, but this movie proves that his reign will forever live on. The story of the legendary rock band, Queen and lead singer Freddie Mercury, leads up to their famous performance at Live Aid. Rami Malik’s incredible performance as Mercury has gained him the Best Male Actor award nomination at the Golden Globe’s and a nominee in the same category at the Academy Awards. 

A Star Is Born

Bradley Cooper’s directorial debut definitely knocked it out of the park with his remake of the classic Judy Garland film, A Star Is Born. Gaga’s film debut tells the story of musician Jackson Maine discovering and falling in love with a struggling artist, Ally (Lady Gaga). She has just about given up on her dream to make it big as a singer until Jackson coaxes her into the spotlight. But even as Ally’s career takes off, the personal side of their relationship is breaking down. Jackson fights an ongoing battle with his own internal demons and Ally’s rise to fame. Gaga’s spectacular performance has earned her her first academy award nomination and a win for Best Song at the Golden Globes. 

The Favourite 

With up to 10 nominations in this year’s Academy Awards, critics are proving that this is a must watch. The unique styled film is based in early 18th century England, where a frail Queen Anne occupies the throne and her close friend, Lady Sarah, governs the country in her stead. When a new servant, Abigail, arrives, her charm endears her to Sarah. This will be Olivia Colman’s first Oscar nominations for Best Actress, and her supporting ladies Emma Stone and Rachel Weisz also got nominated for their roles in the film. 

Roma

Leading with 10 Oscar nominations, director Alfonso Cuaron shines a light on a part of his childhood, but with a unique twist by following the life of a live-in housekeeper to a middle-class family. This is lead actress, Yalitza Aparicio’s debut film, and Cuaron has already made waves by winning in the Best Director category in other award shows. Streaming is available exclusively on Netflix. 

Image Credit: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10

UI student, studying Journalism Mass Communications, International Business and Spanish.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.