photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

Looking for Adventure?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Looking for a fun, adventurous activity to do this spring and summer? Then try geo-caching! Pronounced geo-cashing, this real world treasure hunt is taking the world by storm. According to Geocaching’s main website, there are 2,333,647 active geocaches and over 6 million geocachers worldwide! 

First things first, let’s get a little 101 on geocaching. It’s basically a real-world, outdoor treasure hunting game that uses GPS, or global positioning system, to find the treasure.  The treasure is really just a container hidden at a specific location. This location is found by typing in specific coridnates into your GPS.

So, what are the rules of the game? Well, according to Geocache’s website if you take something from the geocache, or cache for short, you have to leave something of equal or greater value. This can be literally anything! A book, a pencil, a dollar..whatever your heart desires! Then, you have to sign the log book that will be in the container.

Geocaches are all over the world, including many in Iowa! When you reach to the location that your GPS device led you to, whether by bike, hiking, or through the woods, you might have to search hard for your treasure. Some are in plastic containers and some are hidden inside of hollow trees and rocks. Always be aware of your surroundings though, and make sure the area and geocache look safe.

If this new hobby sounds fun and exciting to you then you can become a member for free on the geocaching website. They’ll give you information, tips, GPS coordinates and much more. Have fun and happy hunting!

She is a senior at the University of Iowa majoring in Journalism with a minor in English. On top of being a campus correspondent for Her Campus, Adrian is also a brand ambassador for Quad, a communications intern for Pearson and the marketing director of Iowa's Ed On Campus chapter. When she isn't rereading Harry Potter for the hundredth time, Adrian is playing with her English Bulldog, Stella, or looking at pictures of French Bulldogs on Pinterest. She hopes to someday move into a bigger apartment that can accommodate many pets, write the next greatest novel that will take the world by storm, and be a contributing editor or EIC of a major publication or publishing house.