galentine\'s day party
galentine\'s day party
Krista Stucchio
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Long Distance: How To Make Valentine’s Day Special

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Valentine’s Day may seem like another boring holiday to those who aren’t in a relationship, but when you are it’s an important day that allows you to show the person you love just how much you love them (a little more extravagantly than usual). For those of us in long-distance relationships however, Valentine’s Day can just plain SUCK if you’re unable to see your partner. Because you’re unable to express your love for them physically, here are a few ways you can make Valentine’s Day special from miles apart. 

Photo by Priscilla Du Preez on Unsplash

Flowers! 

Okay, admittedly this one is super stereotypical, but picture this: your partner gets an email or message for something delivered to them. They go down and are expecting it to be a mistake or something they ordered and BOOM. Flowers from you! You just made their entire day and now whenever they look at them they will think of you. 

Love Box! 

This one is super cool and something I love because you can get creative and make it personal. Basically you make a Valentine’s care package with the themed colors of red, pink, and white, being expressed through tissue paper as well as construction paper lining the inside of the box. On those pieces of paper on the flaps of the box, you can write things you love about the person, inside jokes, whatever really! Make it your own! Fill it with some of their favorite things and a card and you’re set to send it out. They’ll love it! 

Cupcakes! 

Here on the Iowa campus, Molly’s cupcakes does custom orders and deliveries! So if you want to send your special hawkeye a sweet treat, don’t hesitate to hit up Molly’s and have them delivered right to their door! Additionally, you can add a message to the order so your special someone knows who sent it. Maybe tell them how much they mean to you or throw in a cupcake pun! Personally, my favorite cupcakes are the birthday cake, red velvet, and creme brulee, but Molly’s definitely has a great variety for your valentine. 

Facetime! 

Although you can’t be with your partner physically, that doesn’t mean you can’t virtually. It definitely is nowhere near the same, but making time for your partner on Valentine’s Day, as well as any day, is a great way to show you care. 

Random Visit! 

If possible, try to make a surprise visit to wherever your partner is. This one is pretty self-explanatory, but just make sure it’s a surprise. One super sweet idea is you can get in contact with your partner’s friends and make sure they keep them occupied for the day. Then have their roommate let you into their place and set up a super cute arrangement of the gifts above, or maybe something creative like a pillow fort for movies. A surprise visit would mean the world to the person that I’m sure means the most to you. It shows that you care enough to put that time and effort into seeing them even when it isn’t always convenient due to distance. So, if it is feasible for you, go for it! That’d be the ultimate gift.  

As long as you put thought, effort, and consideration into your Valentine’s Day gift and really work to make the day special for your partner, you can’t go wrong. It isn’t about how much money was spent or how big and flashy the gift is, as long as your whole heart was invested in putting together and making sure your partner felt loved and cared for that is all that matters. Happy Valentine’s Day long-distance loves! Hope it’s a good one! 

Emily Perry

U Iowa '22

Emily Perry is a Sophomore at the University of Iowa majoring in Criminology, minoring in Political Science, and on the Pre-Law track. Besides writing for Her Campus, Emily is also a member of Phi Alpha Delta Pre-Law Fraternity. In her spare time, she loves aimlessly scrolling through Twitter and Pinterest, eating chicken nuggets, and sending her friends pictures of dogs. Her Instagram is @emilyylynn and her twitter is @emily_perry14