This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Summer vibes, cute boys, an adorable trio of friends AND incredible life lessons; what’s not to love about “Aquamarine?!” Aquamarine has been one of my all-time favorites forever, and it’s mine and my sister’s “go to” movie when I go home for a weekend. We can shamelessly quote the entire movie start to finish, but somehow it never gets old. 

On the surface, it may look like a cute chick-flick, but this movie has taught me so many life lessons that are easy to forget about as we get caught up in our day to day lives.

1. Have confidence in yourself and who you are.

If there’s one thing this movie taught me, it’s that you are who you are. Own it. Aqua never once doubted herself and was always true to who she is. Living life this way, unapologetically yourself, allows you to attract people who appreciate you and to showcase your genuine self.

2. There’s no point going through life without making you beautiful presence known.

In what is probably my favorite scene in this movie, Aqua shouts “HELLO!!” from the balcony of a mall. By societal norms, we are taught to keep quiet, go about our business and not cause a scene. Don’t get me wrong, shouting “HELLO” in a quiet nail salon probably isn’t the best idea. But the point is, don’t hold back on letting people see how great you are. As Aquamarine puts it, “Why go through life unnoticed?”

3. Friends can be found in unlikely places.

This is a big one. I often find myself keeping to my established circle of friends and not having an open mind about meeting new people. You don’t necessarily have to be from the same town, study the same major or have everything in common with someone to be friends. Let people in who interest you, challenge you and support you.

4. There’s a time to be selfish and a time to be selfless.

“Your twenties are a time to be selfish.” I’ve heard this a lot this year. I agree in the sense that it’s a time for us to figure out who we are and what we want to do, a time that we’re solely responsible for ourselves. On the other hand, there is a time to put others before ourselves. In the movie, Hayley’s mom got a job in Australia. Both she and Claire hoped to use their mermaid wish to keep Hayley and her mom in Bay Bridge. When they realized just how long her mom had been waiting for an opportunity like this, they decided to save their wish. Having the ability to tell when is a time to be selfish and when to be selfless is an invaluable skill.

5. True love is out there, and it comes in many forms.

Aqua was anticipating to find love with Raymond, but her two new friends proved their love to her (and Aqua’s father). Love isn’t conventional. When you find people who truly care, who will go to the ends of their earth for you, you’ve found love.

6. The mean girls never win.

While the antagonist of the movie, Cecelia, originally appeared to be an obstacle for Aquamarine and the girls to overcome, she brought with her an important lesson. Cecelia tried to use her popularity to win over Raymond, but her inconsideration for others ultimately backfired on her. This just goes to show you that the girls with the best clothes, the most money, the most friends don’t have much if they don’t have kindness. The mean girls don’t win in the end; the genuine girls do.

7. It’s ok to speak your mind, respectfully and with kindness.

Saying what you think can be challenging, especially when everything you say is critiqued immediately. Whether or not we ask for an opinion, everyone and their mother seems to give their input. Aqua showed us that if we’re going to be questioned anyway, we might as well say what we feel, right?  Whatever the outcome of speaking our mind, at least we got our thoughts and ideas out there.

8. Your parents are there to guide you, but they don’t get to choose your happiness.

Aquamarine came to Bay Bridge in search of love after her father decided she’d be having an arranged marriage. Hoping to prove him wrong and find love for herself, Aqua defied her father and ultimately showed him love exists. Our parents look out for us and have our best interests in mind, but if I’ve learned anything this year it’s that our parent’s ideas of happiness and our own don’t always line up. In the end, we get to make the choice to do what we need to in order to find our happiness.

9. The only guys you absolutely need in your life are Ben & Jerry.

U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.