Lessons to Learn from Gossip Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Confession time: Gossip Girl is my favorite TV show. I’m obsessed with it: I love looking at the characters’ outfits on Pinterest, reading articles about the show and, obviously, re-watching episodes. Now, I realize the word “deep” may not come to mind when watching a show about a scandalous group of privileged Upper-East Side teenagers. However, as a shameless fan for quite a few years, I’ve discovered some good messages within the show. I could write about this show forever, but I’ve narrowed it down to four deep messages.

1. Blair Waldorf teaches us that women can, and should, strive to be powerful.

In her #relationshipgoals with Chuck, she makes it clear that Chuck isn’t her source of power: she wants to be a powerful, successful woman on her own. For example (spoiler alert), in Season 4 she tells Chuck they can’t be together after he has broken up with Eva because she first wants to develop a name for herself without Chuck’s help. She is determined to succeed independently, even if it means taking a harder path. Blair isn’t simply the queen of her high school clique: that role is only practice for when she becomes a queen in the real world. So ladies, strive to be queens like Blair and don’t let anything, or anyone, step in your path.

2. Don’t underestimate yourself; it’s good to be confident.

This message is another one portrayed through Blair: she never acts dumb or incapable of doing a task. She knows she is smart and acts like it, demonstrating that we shouldn’t be afraid to stand out or strive for success. Her strong personality traits allow her to succeed at any scheme, many of which involve taking down Jenny Humphrey, from ruining Jenny’s birthday in Season 1 to later destroying her chance at a fashion agency. While Blair’s schemes are often morally flawed, she enters every scheme with a goal in mind and a certain level of confidence. Though the majority of us probably don’t scheme like Blair, we can learn the importantance of leading with confidence and intelligence in any life situation. 

3. Forgiveness is crucial in friendships.

Every character in the show has done something mean or disrespectful to another character. While it can cause some fighting or tension, they manage to get past it. I mean, look at how many times Serena and Blair have made up after a fight. One of the first fights between S and B is in the first season, when Blair blames Serena for stealing the spotlight in Blair’s mother’s fashion line. After Serena explains that she did not intend to exclude Blair, they make amends and go on an iconic, impromptu photo shoot around New York City. Gossip Girl can teach us that it’s important to let go of certain things for the sake of true friendship.

4. It’s okay to go through ups and downs. 

One of my favorite quotes in the show is something Blair’s mom says to Blair when she is struggling finding her place in college: “Sometimes you have to allow yourself to be weak in order to grow stronger.” This quote has really stuck with me because it emphasizes that when you are going through a rough patch, you are capable of getting out of it and being stronger than you were before. It also emphasizes that it’s okay to let your guard down sometimes. Blair is always very pulled together and strong, but even she has to release her insecurities at some points.

To any Gossip Girl fan out there, never be ashamed of your love for the show because you and I both know that there’s a lot more to the show than others may think. XOXO. 

U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.