Lessons I’ve Learned at Iowa Thus Far

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

There are many lessons to be learned in life, but in college you tend to learn the most important ones. As a freshman, you are an innocent, naïve teen and there is no way to predict the events of the next four years. You’ll make new friends, join a few organizations, and maybe even meet a boy. While you’re here though, you will probably make some great memories, forget some (when you go out), and even learn a thing or two. So live up these years and don’t get too stressed out!

Here is a list of lessons I’ve learned over the past three years…

Don’t go to college with a boyfriend
Been there, done that, don’t do it. I know you think this high school boyfriend is someone you want to be with forever, but chances are he’s not. You are going to grow up and change while in college and you’re just wasting time by staying with him. It holds you back and long distance relationships are pointless anyway. Just trust me and dump him so that you can live your new life.
Lesson: be single as a freshman.

Upperclassman know you’re a freshman

Don’t bother trying to lie; every upperclassman and even most sophomores are well aware you’re a freshman. You look, act, and scream high school when you walk onto campus for the first time. So stop trying to pretend you’re 21 and embrace the fact that you’re a newbie.
Lesson: be yourself.

Don’t drink the punch
A bowl of punch at a party is a no. You’ll be a lot better off making your own drinks than digging your cup into a communal bowl that everyone’s gross hands have been in. Trust me, you’ll thank me later. 
Lesson: make your own drinks.

As a freshman don’t try to keep up with everyone else

One thing you’ll learn very quickly is that you don’t know how to drink. You’ve just come from high school and you’ve never experienced a real college party. Don’t over-do it. I promise you won’t impress people by drinking 10 beers and throwing them up everywhere. You’re just embarrassing yourself.
Lesson: you don’t have a tolerance as a freshman.

Don’t play beer pong with actual beer
I know this sounds silly because you’ve been dying to walk into a college party and get a chance to play this game you’ve heard so much about. You also know the game is to bounce a Ping-Pong ball into a cup of beer and then you drink it. However, if you think about it that same Ping-Pong ball is rolling around on the ground every time you or the opposing team loses. If you look at the ground, I’m sure it’s not something you’d want to lick, so don’t put it in your beer. Use water and have your drink on the side, it’s a lot more sanitary.  
Lesson: use water.

Don’t walk home by yourself at night
No matter how safe you think the campus is, don’t walk home by yourself. There are a lot of drunken men around late night and you never know who you’re going to run into. Always walk home with someone you feel safe with and ignore the guy at the bar who offers to walk you home.
Lesson: the buddy system is gold.

Don’t go to the upstairs Summit

It may appear a fun, exciting environment where you can dance and let loose, but it’s creepy. There are plenty of people up there who don’t even go to the University. They are also a lot older than you and only want one thing. Lesson: beware of the upstairs Summit.  

Don’t wait until the night before to study
It’s never a good idea to wait until the night before to study for a big exam. You will quickly realize this isn’t high school and the exams cover a lot more information than you’re used to. My advice: start studying as early as possible so that you aren’t up until 3 am half reading half falling asleep the night before.
Lesson: study everyday for a week before the exam.

Don’t hold off reading

This is a tricky one. You’re professors won’t give you a day this reading needs to be done necessarily, they just assign reading every week and you’re supposed to do it. It’s easy to hold it off and say you’re going to read it next week, but chances are you’ll forget and before you know it you have 300 pages to read before the exam in a few days.
Lesson: read.

Don’t spend your life savings as if it will never run out
During high school you saved and saved your paychecks so that you would have them for college, then you get to college and you have more money than you know what to do with, but don’t go wild. That money does run out eventually and you’re going to need it for all four years, not just this year. So don’t go on shopping sprees every week because it drains faster than you realize.
Lesson: save your money.

Work out
If you don’t workout you’ll balloon up. It’s simple: drinking + Burge cafeteria food + not working out= 20 pounds in 9 months. Take the time out of your busy schedule to workout every once in a while, you’ll be sorry otherwise.
Lesson: workout or you’ll be fat.

The boom boom bus will get you every time

Here’s something I didn’t know before college, there’s a bus that looks like a school bus but is a party bus and it’s probably the most dangerous concept I’ve ever heard of. It’s a blast don’t get me wrong, but it’s a bunch of college kids riding around town drinking and dancing. You’re also bracing yourself every two seconds so that you don’t smash to the ground with every bump.
Lesson: just beware that you will have bruises the next day in weird places.

Don’t wait until the last minute to sign a lease
This is important. If you’re not living in the dorms your second year or a sorority house you have to sign a lease and in this town the apartments go fast. Try and sign a lease as quickly as you can, don’t hold it off because you’ll end up at some dump far away that no one wants to live in.
Lesson: look for apartments early or you’ll be homeless.

Don’t let your roommate(s) bother you
Sure it sucks, but we all have to have one at some point or another. Living with other people can get difficult because everyone lives differently and has different priorities. Stop bitching and get used to it. You can talk to your roommate(s) about things that annoy you, but for the most part you just have to adjust because your schedules are going to clash and some people are cleaner than others. If you let it bother you too much you’ll end up with a headache and a hit list.
Lesson: be flexible when it comes to roommates.

Don’t pay for cabs while its still nice out
In Iowa City cab drivers are ruthless. They want to take advantage of the fact that you don’t know how much a cab should cost and they take all of your money. Only use a cab if it is bitter cold out, don’t waste your money if it’s nice out and you can walk with someone (see lesson six). In the winter, I’m sure the walk from your apartment or dorm from downtown is probably unbearable, so save your money for a night like that.
Lesson: walk home, unless you’re going to freeze to death. 

Brueggers won’t always be there for you

I once thought that fantastic bagel shop on Iowa Ave. would always be there for me if I needed a bite to eat before my morning class. Well let me tell you, I learned my lesson the hard way because all that’s there now is a gaping hole and it’s upsetting.
Lesson: don’t rely on places that may burn down.

Laundry sucks to do anywhere
Whether you’re in a dorm, sorority house, or apartment complex doing your laundry sucks. It takes all of your quarters and it barely washes your clothes. I really have no advice to give on this subject other than just appreciate when you don’t have to watch your clothes swirl around in the washing machine and dryer for hours. Lesson: take advantage of doing laundry back home.

Life isn’t a party.

But college life is, so live it up while you’re still here and stay as long as you can.
Lesson: being a fifth year in college isn’t frowned upon, it’s envied.

_________________________ 
Sources

I-O-W-A

Freshman No No’

Scribol

College Party Themes

Bruegger’s Bagels via The Gazette

Emily is a junior at the University of Iowa and is studying Journalism and Pre-Law with a minor in Health Communication. She has been a part of the Her Campus University of Iowa team since it was founded in 2010 and is a member of Ed on Campus. She has grown to love magazine writing and editing and if she somehow can't land her dream job (to be Carrie Bradshaw), she wouldn't mind settling for a job in the magazine industry. If nothing else, she hopes to attend law school somewhere in the Bay Area out West, her favorite place to be. Since the age of 15, Emily spent her summers in California, doing internships and falling in love with San Francisco. Some of her other interests include her 4-month-old longhaired wiener dog Henry, blogging, celebrity gossip, sushi, Private Practice, fro-yo, being a journalism nerd, and anything involving good conversation with good people. Although she's not exactly sure of her plans for the future, she knows journalism will somehow be the driving force in her career.