An “Iowaish” St. Patrick’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

An “Iowaish” St. Patrick’s Day

Everyone’s favorite time of year is right around the corner. The weather is slowly heating up and yes, by heating up I do mean from the dreaded Iowa -9 to a balmy 32. Speaking of nice weather, the plans you made in October for Spring Break are finally in sight. But hold on, one of college’s favorite holidays is also approaching quickly and the bars of Iowa City are prepping for days of green beer and celebrations. Since,  many bars are celebrating St. Patrick’s day with loads of drink and food specials, Her Campus decided to do you all a kindness and partake in a little barhopping myself to see how Iowa City’s most popular bars plan on celebrating.

First stop, Summit (whoever had the brilliant idea of putting bars right across from the Pentacrest is a gem). They’re kicking off St. Patty’s day three days early with “St. Practice Day” on the 14th.  Their beer specials include, $1.00 beers and if you’re a Summit regular on Thursdays and a part of their Mug Club, bring your mug along and fill it up! If not, buy a mug for $8.00 and get your first fill up for free. Every fill up after that is only $1.00. Other Thursday specials include $3.00 domestic refills and well drinks for $4.00. Summit will keep St. Practice Day rolling with $2.00 St. Pat’s shots and $5.00 Irish car bombs. Cheers!

Just around the corner Bo James claims “Our beers are bigger and so are the celebrations.” They too, start the festivities on the 14th and the party continues until St. Patrick’s Day. You can kick off your day bright and early for lunch with $6.00 corned beef and cabbage, and also try out their brand new potato and rye bread platter. Wash that down with a $2.00 green pint, a $3.00 32 ounce green beer, or a$4.00 Guinness, an Irish favorite. If you are still wishing you were Irish, Bo James will hook you up with a couple of magically delicious $4.00 Irish car bombs which should do the trick.

Since you can’t have enough green beer, (don’t listen to anyone who tells you differently) make your next stop Brothers and get another green beer for $2.75.  By now you probably need to make an ATM run, no worry even with beer goggles on there is one right outside the door. Break that crisp twenty on $4.00 Jameson shots and $4.50 Irish car bombs and buy a round for all your chums.

Before you continue your crawl, stop at a vender in the Pedmall and get yourself a grilled cheese or loaded bowl! If you haven’t noticed I am all for green beer, but no gagging green in the Pedmall. No gold coins for you. At the end of the rainbow, or barcrawl, is Martini’s. Stop in for $5.00 domestic green pitchers and $2.00 domestic green beer drafts. Still trying to get your leprechaun on?  Five dollar Irish car bombs and three dollar Shamrocked shots will for sure make you do a little jig.

Bottom line: Starting March 14th to March 17th Iowa City will be painted green with food and drink specials. There is no doubt at the end of your St. Patty’s Day (or days) celebrations that you’ll be seein’ Dublin. But as always, be safe and drink responsibly!

Gabby is a junior at the University of Iowa, working towards her double major in Communication Studies and Anthropology with a minor is Psychology. She is originally from LaSalle, Illinois and enjoys writing, traveling, and fashion.