Hungry for The Hunger Games: What You Need to Know for the Upcoming Film!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

In a world post-Harry Potter and Twilight, young adults everywhere were in desperate need of something new. A fresh saga filled with adventure, suspense and, let’s not forget, romance. Enter The Hunger Games, a trilogy written by author Suzanne Collins that follows a 16-year-old girl named Katniss Everdeen who tries to survive in a game that wants her dead for public entertainment. Now that’s what I call reality TV! With the release of every good book comes the release of a spanking new movie to accompany the cash-cow bestseller. The Hunger Games movie hits theaters March 23. All of your friends who have read the book will probably be first in line to the midnight premiere, but if you have not read the books, you won’t want to be left out. Although it took me just one day to read the book (yes, it’s that good, and I would highly recommend you read it before you see the movie), some people just don’t like or have time to read. This is for those people; it’s a synopsis of everything you will need to know for the release of The Hunger Games movie.

The Setting 

Contrary to what it may appear, the book/film actually takes place in the future. It is a kind of post-apocalyptic world that shares many ironic similarities with our society today. Their world takes place on what used to be the United States but is now called Panem. Panem consists of 12 districts in addition to the Capitol. The Capitol is a powerful metropolis where all the government workings take place, and it is also the “watching eye” of Panem that makes sure all citizens are following the rules. In the book, Katniss also alludes to a District 13, a place that once existed but is thought be totally destroyed after an uprising that took place before Katniss was born.

What are The Hunger Games?
As a punishment and shameful reminder to the people of Panem after the uprising of District 13, the evil leaders of the Capitol created The Hunger Games.  Each year, one boy and one girl from each district, between the ages of 12 and 18, are selected by annual lottery to participate in The Hunger Games. Each of the “tributes” selected to compete are then placed into an arena that is strategically controlled by the game makers. The tributes must then fight to the death. Only one winner can emerge. The Hunger Games are televised nationally, so that the parents of each of the tribes have to suffer as they watch their loved ones brutally slayed by other children. It’s pretty sick to say the least.

The Love Triangle

Okay now we’re getting to the juicy stuff. You must choose: Team Peeta or Team Gale. 
For me, this is a no brainer…100% Team Gale! Gale is Katniss’ tall, dark and handsome best friend who has been there for her and her family since Katniss’ father died. He hunts with Katniss and helps her provide for her impoverished mother and sister. He promises Katniss he will protect and provide for her family when she is gone. And oh yeah…Liam Hemsworth plays him in the movie. Yumm.

Peeta comes from a more well-off family from Katniss’ district. They go to the same school but have never actually interacted aside from one encounter long ago. Peeta is selected as the male tribute from Katniss’ district, and the two are forced to forge a friendship while preparing for The Hunger Games. Katniss is constantly confused as to whether Peeta’s friendly actions are genuine or if he is just trying to trick her so he can kill her in the arena. She also has difficulty deciding if she has feelings for him as well or if she is just trying to fill the void left by Gale…typical girl. Peeta is played by Josh Hutcherson in the film.

I can’t reveal many more details than that; I would hate to spoil the film! I can say, however, that this is going to be a dang good movie. It has hot men, a strong, independent woman as the lead role (who’s a badass with a bow and arrow) and tons of action and surprises. What more could you ask for?

Sources:

IMDB.com

Emily is a junior at the University of Iowa and is studying Journalism and Pre-Law with a minor in Health Communication. She has been a part of the Her Campus University of Iowa team since it was founded in 2010 and is a member of Ed on Campus. She has grown to love magazine writing and editing and if she somehow can't land her dream job (to be Carrie Bradshaw), she wouldn't mind settling for a job in the magazine industry. If nothing else, she hopes to attend law school somewhere in the Bay Area out West, her favorite place to be. Since the age of 15, Emily spent her summers in California, doing internships and falling in love with San Francisco. Some of her other interests include her 4-month-old longhaired wiener dog Henry, blogging, celebrity gossip, sushi, Private Practice, fro-yo, being a journalism nerd, and anything involving good conversation with good people. Although she's not exactly sure of her plans for the future, she knows journalism will somehow be the driving force in her career.