How To: Train for a 5K (or 10K…or Marathon!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

I didn’t think I could do it.  Running always seemed like such a pain in the butt and a total hassle. It was something I only did in my dreams (you know, running in slow motion from robbers or ex-boyfriends) or in junior high when I was forced to run the dreaded mile. So when I heard about the 2011 River Run, I at first blew it off.  But as a couple weeks passed a crazy though entered my mind, “maybe I could actually run the river run.” Insane right? I had always been a swimmer, rock climber and avid gym-goer but I refused to step foot on a treadmill. That was, until recently. As this psychotic idea plagued my mind I decided to finally step foot on a treadmill, just to see how far I could go. At first I ran a half-mile, then a mile, then finally two miles when I realized running wasn’t half bad. I subsequently entered the 5k race, thinking that if I bailed, my registration money would still go to a good cause. But race day came and I showed up and ran the entire five kilometers (along with the lovely Her Campus Iowa coordinator Nicole Lumbreras!) without stopping.  I beat my goal of 38 minutes and hit 30 instead.  After finishing, I felt so accomplished and realized how fun the race and the training had been. In hopes for everyone else to find this joy, here are a few things I learned from running my first 5K.

1. Luckily, running will come naturally if you’re active in other sports. So if you’re already a bit of a gym bunny, switch up your daily exercise of elliptical or weights to the treadmill. You’ll find that since your heart is already in great shape, you’ll be able to run farther than you thought.  If you’re new to sports or running, just take it slow. Give yourself two to three months time to train and simply start off by walking.  As you become more comfortable on the treadmill, switch between a slow jog and a walk.  It’s okay if you can only go a half-mile at first, just stay at your own pace and comfort level.
  2. Stretch before and after.  With running I’ve noticed the tendency for muscles to go sore and tight before they usually do in other activities. Focus on your legs, but don’t forget to stretch out your back, arms and neck.  I forgot to stretch my neck on race day and had some unpleasant spasms while running.
  3. Stay hydrated.  It is especially important to drink plenty of water before, during and after the race but you need to up your hydration levels all the time when training. Get in the habit of carrying around a reusable water bottle and drink it constantly. When your body is put under more stress and activity than normal, it needs to be hydrated 24/7.
  4. Load with carbohydrates a couple of days before the race. Don’t eat anything too heavy, but a healthy whole-wheat pasta or brown race is great long-term energy food. The morning of the race, eat something high in protein and vitamins, like a banana and some yogurt with granola.  A little bit of natural sugar (like in OJ) or caffeine (a small cup of coffee) is also a smart way to get your body energized.
  5. Run outside and inside. While a treadmill is an easy choice on cloudy, cold, rainy days, it’s also important you practice on race terrain.  Since most races take place on sidewalks, trails and pavement (with natural hills, potholes and bumps) get off the smooth treadmill track and hit the open air. Run up and down small hills as well to get the feeling of natural inclines and declines.
  6. Wear the proper attire. Quality running shoes are an obvious must, but clothing can be a little more difficult to pick out.  It’s up to you to decide what your most comfortable in.  My body runs hot, so I stuck to a tank top, athletic shorts and a sports bra even though it was chilly.  But if you’re prone to being cold, invest in active wear that wicks (dries quick and breathes so you don’t get too hot or cold from sweat) and doesn’t rub or irritate your skin.  Practice in your running gear as well. Although you may be cold before the race, remember that you’ll get hot quickly, so avoid heavy fleece or cotton.
  7. Set goals.  Ignore everyone else around you when you run. This is about you and your comfort level. Running is about being happy and healthy, so focus on what’s best for your body and mind.  Although they sometimes call 5K’s “races” it is never really a race, so try not to make it a competition with others. If your friends inspire you, find a friend with a similar pace to run with, or if you love getting in the zone alone, pop in an iPod and just run!  
Nicole Lumbreras is a junior at University of Iowa, class of 2012, studying Journalism and Sociology. Born and raised in the suburbs of Chicago, Nicole loves to explore new restaurants, see live music and attend sporting events. Nicole loves to travel, dance, write in her blog and takes pleasure in the art of photography. Nicole loves to spend time with her friends and family, and when time allows she will get her fill of Bad Girls Club, Glee, So You Think You Can Dance, and Grey's Anatomy. Nicole recently got foot surgery and rediscovered running; her goal is to run a half marathon before she is 25. After college she plans to move into the city (Chicago) with a American bulldog, attend graduate school at night and hopefully write for Chicago Magazine or another fun and upcoming project.