How-To: Spoil Your Mom on Mother’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Mother’s Day is right around the corner (May 13) and if you’re like me, you want to get her the perfect gift that she will absolutely love and that says to her, “Thank you for everything you do and I love you.” There are so many things out there that moms love, so how do you know exactly what to get her? Here are some tips on how to get the best gift for your mama:

Does your mom tear up over every little thing?

If so, try getting her something that is sentimental and will hit her just right. A necklace with your initials or a picture of you and her in a cute frame is just a couple ideas. They say, “I love you” and will remind her of you when she sees them, which will make her tear up instantly.

Is your mom on top of the latest technology?

A new Ipad is pretty pricey, but if you have siblings you could split the price by going in on the idea together or a Kindle Fire is a new hip gift that is still tech savvy that she will love.

Is your mom active?

If she enjoys running or working out, a new pair of Nike shorts would be a good option. They come in many bright colors so you could get her a pair in her favorite colors, or a new Underarmor half zip is another idea of your mom. They are comfy and she can wear them out on her morning jog or just around the house.

Is your mom usually stressed out?

To relieve the stress she suffers from, a massage would be the perfect gift. It would give her time to herself and it would help her to relax and she would feel so much better after it was over. Or a spa day at the local spa would be a great gift. She could get a facial, massage, pedicure, manicure, and she would feel excellent when she left.

Is your mom the party mom?

If you’re of age, your mom might enjoy a six-pack of her favorite beer, a bottle of wine, or liquor in a customized cooler of her own.

Is your mom like my mom and love flowers?

I know that it seems like a simple gift, but it’s something she will love. A bouquet of her favorite flowers or a nice potted plant that she can set out for people to see will instantly put a smile on her face.

Is your mom the “mommy” mom?

Get her something that she will bring back the memories of your childhood. A homemade card with a customized calendar that has pictures of you and her or your entire family in it would be something that she could look at all year and something she would love.

These are just a few ideas for the perfect mother’s day gifts, but remember no matter what you get her she will love it. Let us know what you’re planning for you Mom this Mother’s day in the comments below!

Emily is a junior at the University of Iowa and is studying Journalism and Pre-Law with a minor in Health Communication. She has been a part of the Her Campus University of Iowa team since it was founded in 2010 and is a member of Ed on Campus. She has grown to love magazine writing and editing and if she somehow can't land her dream job (to be Carrie Bradshaw), she wouldn't mind settling for a job in the magazine industry. If nothing else, she hopes to attend law school somewhere in the Bay Area out West, her favorite place to be. Since the age of 15, Emily spent her summers in California, doing internships and falling in love with San Francisco. Some of her other interests include her 4-month-old longhaired wiener dog Henry, blogging, celebrity gossip, sushi, Private Practice, fro-yo, being a journalism nerd, and anything involving good conversation with good people. Although she's not exactly sure of her plans for the future, she knows journalism will somehow be the driving force in her career.