This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

January is that month that doesn’t give you much to look forward to. With New Year’s right at the beginning, there are not many holidays or other fun things to keep in mind. Add on the multiple feet of snow that we usually get, and January becomes one long month. There are many ways to spice up such a dull month, and my favorite is by shopping! So many stores offer great discounts to students directly after Christmas to try to get rid of their winter décor, clothes, etc. Some of my favorite stores to shop at are:

5. Nordstrom. Nordstrom offers free shipping and returns year-round. If you sign up for their email notifications, they will send you an email anytime they have a sale going on. It actually becomes a shopping addiction.

4. Target. Target is the perfect place to shop as a broke college student. If you are shopping online, Target also offers free shipping all year long. If you decide to make a trip to Coralville, Target is always filled with deals from the cute dollar section, where you are bound to find some cute décor, to stationary for your room to the basic makeup essentials. You are sure to find what you want at a reasonable price.

3. Urban Outfitters. Urban Outfitters is the perfect place to online shop for adorable clothes or festive holiday decorations. It has a chill vibe and offers deals on a lot of different merchandise from clothes to furniture. Urban Outfitters can be pricey, but it is important to look for their sales to find a great deal!

2. Bare Minerals. I am absolutely in loveeee with Bare Minerals makeup. It is the perfect solution for dry or oily skin. Surprisingly, this amazing store offers plenty of deals specifically for college students. Upon showing your student ID at the store you receive a student discount on your purchase. How cool is that?!

1. Tailgate. My favorite place to shop local is Tailgate. For all game day attire this is the place to shop. The vintage feel is sure to get you many compliments on your purchase. Tailgate also offers many great deals, such as a percentage off for how cold it is outside and deals on pocket points. So get your study on and turn on your pocket points to score some great deals at tailgate!

Make the beginning of your semester a little less drab and indulge in some shopping. A little shopping never killed nobody! 

Currently I am a sophomore at the Universtiy of Iowa majoring in Elementary Education. I love writing, especially about how wonderful our campus is! 
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.