How To Not Fail Your Online Class This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

This semester, I am taking my first ever online class. Although I quickly learned that it can be very easy to procrastinate, I have also discovered that online classes are fairly easy to manage. I was surprised, however, to learn that Columbia University’s Community College Research Center released their data about online classes, including attrition rates, and discovered that in some of the worst scenarios, 90% of students in a single online class failed or dropped out. While there are many factors that go into determining this statistic, I thought I would share the things I have done this semester to stay on track and keep myself in check.

1. Find a buddy

Finding someone who’s also in the class will help keep you in check. I’ve found it helpful to meet up with a study buddy during the time that our online class meets. It ensures that I will attend class and that I’ll have help with any confusing concepts.

2. Make your own due dates

While the class may have actual due dates, some of the lectures and notes may never be due. Mark a day in your calendar each week to make sure you get all the assignments, readings and lectures done for that class.

3. Don’t assume it’s going to be easy

Just because the class isn’t taught in person doesn’t mean it’s automatically easy. Your online class may very well be just as hard if not harder than your other classes that meet in person. Be sure to get the supplemental help you need. 

4. Find a quiet space

Your room does not count as a quiet space. There’s nothing more detrimental to your success than curling up in bed with your laptop. Get out of your room, go to a quiet space, and spend time actually focusing on your class. I always find that I am more productive when I actually have to walk to a study space and spend a long period of time there rather than hanging out in my room where there’s a million other things I could be doing.

5. Get organized

Know what your materials are and where to find them. Do you take notes in a notebook? On your laptop? Does this class have a textbook? Make sure that you have all your materials together—it will be so much easier to focus when you’re not wondering where you put your notes from last week.

6. Ask around

Just like with in-person classes, it’s helpful to ask around and see if you know anyone that has taken the class previously. They can help with figuring out what general concepts will be on exams as well as what the professor is like and how they grade.

7. Schedule around it

My online class meets for two hours every other week. We have to log into a server and watch a lecture from the professor. One mistake I’ve made is to schedule things like meetings and events right before or during the class because I forgot that I had it. Make sure to always remember when you meet, so you don’t miss out on easy participation points.

Whether you’re taking an online class to supplement your in-person classes, or you’re simply deciding to take college classes remotely, hopefully these helpful tips will come in handy. It’s so easy to become part of that statistic that fails or drops out of online classes, but with a few easy steps you’ll be on your way to success in no time.

Photos: 13 

Carly is a freshman majoring in Journalism with hopes of someday becoming the boss of the world. She grew up in Saint Paul, MN and left her heart there when she went to school 300 miles away in Iowa City. In her free time she enjoys blogging, eating good food, and being outdoors.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.