How To: Keep In Touch With Long-Distance Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Though being in college has some amazing perks, one thing that can really put a damper on it is your best friend not being able to experience it with you. Like me for example, some of my best friends go to the University of Northern Iowa and Luther College. While I totally support their decision to go there, sometimes it gets hard not having them around all the time. But, luckily there are some tips to staying close and they’re pretty easy to follow.

Step One: Utilize technology. It’s almost impossible to be totally cut off from anyone in the world these days. With Facebook, e-mail, Skype, texting and other social media networks it’s basically impossible not to get in touch somehow. Plan times when you both can take an hour out of your week to just sit down and catch up. This is the one person who totally knows you and talking to them can make you feel 100% better, especially when you’re having a hard day.

Step Two: Snail. Mail.  I know, I know, in my above tip I said to utilize technology. But, don’t you still feel a rush of excitement when checking the mailbox? I know I do. And nothing can brighten my day more then a letter from my friend. Not only do they seem to take more time to write and think out, but you can work on your letter little by little whenever you have a couple of moments to spare.

Step Three: Plan trips to see your friends. Obviously this seriously depends on how far away you are from each other, but try to plan on seeing them at least once a semester. Not only is it a nice break from school but it’s nice to meet some of their new friends. Try and alternate who goes where (for example: you’ll go to their place one trip, and the next they’ll come to yours) so it doesn’t get super expensive for either of you.

Step Four: Events. Every college puts on tons of events for the year and this is a nice way to make an excuse to go up and visit your friends. If a favorite band of yours is going to be playing at their college (or at yours), try and make plans to see them together. Like the trips, it’s nice break from school and can really boost your spirits.
Maintaining long distance friendships is hard. And though following these tips makes it a lot easier, just remember that you both have to work at it. Yes, you’ll probably fight sometimes, but just remember that true friendship can get through anything and that a little distance is nothing (and I tried so hard to keep the cheese factor at a minimum).

Nicole Lumbreras is a junior at University of Iowa, class of 2012, studying Journalism and Sociology. Born and raised in the suburbs of Chicago, Nicole loves to explore new restaurants, see live music and attend sporting events. Nicole loves to travel, dance, write in her blog and takes pleasure in the art of photography. Nicole loves to spend time with her friends and family, and when time allows she will get her fill of Bad Girls Club, Glee, So You Think You Can Dance, and Grey's Anatomy. Nicole recently got foot surgery and rediscovered running; her goal is to run a half marathon before she is 25. After college she plans to move into the city (Chicago) with a American bulldog, attend graduate school at night and hopefully write for Chicago Magazine or another fun and upcoming project.