How to: Defeat the Winter Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

How to: Defeat the Winter Blues                      

So, unless you’ve been living in a cave or off on some amazing vacation that just happened to take place near the equator, you’ve been feeling it. This is the time when winter seems to drag on and spring/summer seem like they are never going to arrive. The days seem cold and dark and you’re in a rut. You’ve got the winter blues. But fear not, for I have some handy tips that will add a little bit of happiness to your day and together, we will defeat winter and make it to spring.

1: Head to the gym.We have this amazing new Campus Recreation and Wellness Center, and we pay for it so you might as well get some use out of it. Not only will this help keep you healthy and fit, but it’s also great for relieving some of that stress you might have built up. Also, working out in the morning makes your entire day seem brighter. Not only will you have more energy, but can you say endorphins?

2: Add some color to your wardrobe.Though it can be instinct to throw on some dark colors, try to add some pops of color in there. A bright scarf, bag, or some jewelry can really brighten up your mood.  Color doesn’t have to only be for the warmer seasons.

3: Get some sun. As soon as you wake up in the morning open up those blinds and let the sun in. I know, I know, usually that’s the last thing you want to do, but trust me. Not only does getting ready for school or work in the dark make you sleepier, but during the winter your body is seriously lacking the Vitamin D provided by the sun. Opening your shades and letting the sun in helps get some of that back into your body as well as improve your mood.

4: Plan some fun, outdoor activities. There are a couple of good reasons for doing this. The first is that it gets you socializing. If you’re feeling a little down, the last thing you would want to do is just stay inside all weekend by yourself, surfing the internet. This way you can be around the people who make you happy, your friends. The second is that it helps you embrace winter and learn to enjoy it. There are only a couple of months out of the year where there’s enough snow to go sledding, or build a snowman, or have a snowball fight. Appreciate the snow when you have it.

These tips can help you defeat the winter blues. Don’t let it get you down. Now, open those shades and embrace the season!

Nicole Lumbreras is a junior at University of Iowa, class of 2012, studying Journalism and Sociology. Born and raised in the suburbs of Chicago, Nicole loves to explore new restaurants, see live music and attend sporting events. Nicole loves to travel, dance, write in her blog and takes pleasure in the art of photography. Nicole loves to spend time with her friends and family, and when time allows she will get her fill of Bad Girls Club, Glee, So You Think You Can Dance, and Grey's Anatomy. Nicole recently got foot surgery and rediscovered running; her goal is to run a half marathon before she is 25. After college she plans to move into the city (Chicago) with a American bulldog, attend graduate school at night and hopefully write for Chicago Magazine or another fun and upcoming project.