How To: Avoid the Stress of Midterms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Once it gets to be time for midterms, you know that the semester is in full swing. Exams can be stressful in general, but midterms usually pull more weight in your overall grade, which can add to the stress of getting the grade you desire at the end of the semester. There are a few ways to avoid or help manage the stress that is brought on by midterm exams.

• Plan your schedule—plan ahead in your day and make a schedule you can follow that will help you keep on track. You can also make a daily to do list the night before that should help you get things done, stay in school mode, and limit distractions. It’s always easier to get things done when you know exactly what you have to do.

• Don’t get behind—stay ahead in your schoolwork. Even though you have exams to study for, it is still important to not put off assignments or readings for other classes. It may not seem as important as studying for exams, but it’s not a bad idea to get a head or staying on track so that you’re not overwhelmed with the weeks
to come.

• Keep partying to minimum—Try to limit partying and bar hopping during exam time. You don’t want to hungover for classes that will be reviewing for exams or for the exams especially.

• Take a break—when you start to feel stressed or overwhelmed take a break to get your mind off of things. Go for a run, check out Facebook, call your mom or dad, or just go get some ice cream. Do what you need to do to
relieve unwanted stress or anxiety for a little bit.

Midterms are a tough time, but once you get through them, then everything is back to normal. Avoid all of the unwanted stress and anxiety that comes with the territory of midterm exams by trying these few tips.

Full time English/Studio Arts major, Full-time visionary. Native Chicagoan and a true city girl. In love with love and a frequent contributing writer for the HC-UIowa Modern Love column(however not frequent enough). Current endeavor?  Proud Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UIowa, I am progressively expanding the chapter's reach through creative, fun, and informative content with a unique publication voice. I also have published content for diffrent on-line and print media. I love everything HC, but when I am not writing, editing, or publishing I am trying out the latest health trends in fitness and food, hanging out with friends, or fueling a bad habit of on-line shopping. Future endeavor? Editor-in Chief of a magazine something like Glamour, Cosmo, or Self. Want to keep up with me? Follow me on Twitter @EllandreaM