How To: Avoid Spring Break Fatigue

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

How To: Avoid Spring Break Fatigue

It is almost here. The week we’ve all been waiting for: Spring Break 2011.  So much excitement, so much partying, so much traveling and….zzzzzzz.  Before our big vacation, we forget that we are actually human, and that humans need sleep.  Our excitement gives us a boost of adrenaline and serotonin, leaving us with an artificial feeling of energy.  But if we don’t address sleep before and during vacation, we could face serious consequences.  We can crash, especially after drinking excess alcohol, which can lead to dangerous situations or illnesses.  So follow these few easy steps and you’ll stay safe, happy and energetic during your whole vacation.

1. Avoid excess caffeine and sugar during travel.  Coffee, tea, soda, energy drinks and sugary foods can get us going for a plane ride or in the morning after a long night out, but caffeine will only make you crash later on and can be deadly when mixed with alcohol.  If you need a cup or two of Joe, it’s no big deal, but avoid taking back Red Bulls all day so you can party all night.  Instead, follow step number two.
  2. Stay hydrated.  Especially on a plane or new environments, our bodies need extra water.  Carry around a reusable water bottle and fill it as often as possible.  If you have a hard time drinking plain water, Gatorade or flavored waters (without added sugar) are a fine alternative.  Remember Sun + Heat + No Water (or added alcohol)=extreme cases of dehydration which can lead to vomiting, fevers or hospitalization, so drink up your h2o!
  3. Eat Right.  The same goes for food as it does for water, find food that is high in vitamins and water, such as fruits and vegetables and eat as much as you can.  If you’re tempted to splurge a bit on exotic, high-fat, restaurant dishes, eat one a day and fill the rest of your meals with veggies, fruits and lean proteins.
  4. If you’re into exercising daily or weekly, take a little bit of your vacation time to get into your same routine.  Vacations can offer great new views during a morning run, or offer a fabulous new pool or ocean to do some swimming. Regular exercise will also keep your energy levels up and help you sweat out toxins.
  5. Take time for yourself.  If you insist on going out every night while on Spring Break, make sure you take time during the day to relax.  Leave the outdoors for a bit and find a cool place inside to read or listen to music.  Closing your eyes for even 25 minutes can give you a boost of energy.  Anything longer than a 25-minute nap may make you drowsier.   
Nicole Lumbreras is a junior at University of Iowa, class of 2012, studying Journalism and Sociology. Born and raised in the suburbs of Chicago, Nicole loves to explore new restaurants, see live music and attend sporting events. Nicole loves to travel, dance, write in her blog and takes pleasure in the art of photography. Nicole loves to spend time with her friends and family, and when time allows she will get her fill of Bad Girls Club, Glee, So You Think You Can Dance, and Grey's Anatomy. Nicole recently got foot surgery and rediscovered running; her goal is to run a half marathon before she is 25. After college she plans to move into the city (Chicago) with a American bulldog, attend graduate school at night and hopefully write for Chicago Magazine or another fun and upcoming project.